• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Editing text in one place changes text in another? Is it possible?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 28, 2020 Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a document that refers to its own pages often. I am wondering if there is a way to "link" text so that when I change it in one place it simultaneously updates it in another. For example: I have a document of ten pages. "Part 050" is listed on three pages in text. I would love to change the text on page 2 and have it auto update on pages 7 and 9. Any thoughts? (This is a simplified example. The actual documents range from 100-300 pages and has references on multitudes of pages.)

TOPICS
Draw and design , Scripting , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Aug 28, 2020 Aug 28, 2020

Using symbols, perhaps. I don't like telling people flat out to use InDesign, but there are several (possible) ways to do this in InDesign, and managing 100-page documents is far easier in InDesign too.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Aug 28, 2020 Aug 28, 2020

I don't know if you could do this via scripting or not, but it seems like a long way to go everytime you want to change something. Illustrator really isn't the proper software to be creating large documents. Do you have the entire Adobe CC or just Illustrator? This could be handled so easily in InDesign - it is what the program is made for. Learning curve is not bad and you would find that the time it takes to create long documents and everything you could do would be worth the effort.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using symbols, perhaps. I don't like telling people flat out to use InDesign, but there are several (possible) ways to do this in InDesign, and managing 100-page documents is far easier in InDesign too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU! I had a feeling that I was going to be looking into InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if you could do this via scripting or not, but it seems like a long way to go everytime you want to change something. Illustrator really isn't the proper software to be creating large documents. Do you have the entire Adobe CC or just Illustrator? This could be handled so easily in InDesign - it is what the program is made for. Learning curve is not bad and you would find that the time it takes to create long documents and everything you could do would be worth the effort.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You! I'll take that suggestion. I had been waiting until the proper sign to start working with Indesign. I guess this is it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It sounds more like the document has text threading between objects than something to do with Symbols.

Adobe Illustrator Help - Threading Text Between Objects:

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/creating-text.html#threading_text_between_objects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines