• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Effect > Pathfinder > Subtract Not Working

Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2020 Dec 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!  I am new to Illustrator.  I have selected two images and am trying to perform the subtract function on both of them.  I received a notification that "pathfinder effects should not be applied to groups" and the function has no effect.  However, I am watching a YouTube tutorial of someone performing the subtract function on two objects arranged just as I have them: 2:58 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eYdE7w5NCQ 

Attached is a screenshot of the images on which I'm attempting to perform "subtract".

Thank you! 😁

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TeacherKing,

To help helpers help you, the best help would be a screenshot of what you actually have, containing (at least):

1) The objects in question shown and selected,

2) The (relevant part of the) Layers palette with the Layer expanded so the selected objects in 1) are shown.

Please use the button Insert Photos

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2020 Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  For some reason, my computer didn't let me do that earlier, but a screenshot is now attached.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the person in the video also applying the pathfinder effect? Or rather using the pathfinder panel?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2020-12-29 at 1.39.53 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response.  The demonstrator clicks on the "pathfinder palette" and then clicks "subtract".  The demonstrator clicks on "pathfinder" on the top-right of his InDesign screen.  I do not have "pathfinder" at the top-right of my screen, however.  Is there a setting that I should change?  Thanks again.  Attached above is a screenshot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The pathfinder panel is in the Window menu.

You might want to read at least the introductory pages of the documentation. https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/workspace-basics.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Make sure you select the 2 images. They are in the same layer and not group. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1055C9zMnYkFdGOtrGOuhA_EmgXHqot96/view?usp=sharing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines