• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Embedded images in pdf file opened in Illustrator cut to pieces

Explorer ,
Jul 19, 2021 Jul 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but I have a pdf file created by someone else from which I need to extract high-rez illustrations. Normally, I'd open the pdf in illustrator, release the clipping map, select the illustration and unembed. But the images in this file are divided/cut up into many separate pieces, each of which has to be unembedded and then reassembled somehow.

I'm sure there must be a better solution than opening each portion and reassembling the image in photoshop, right? Is there a way to make all of the pieces into a single illustration file again?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 19, 2021 Jul 19, 2021

Illustrator is not a PDF editor, so the best thing to do is ask the someone else who created the file for the original.

If that is not possible you could have a look at the Links or the Control panel to find the ppi of the fragments.

Select them and Object > rasterize them at that resolution. You may be lucky and do not see any lines where they are combined.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator is not a PDF editor, so the best thing to do is ask the someone else who created the file for the original.

If that is not possible you could have a look at the Links or the Control panel to find the ppi of the fragments.

Select them and Object > rasterize them at that resolution. You may be lucky and do not see any lines where they are combined.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That solution actually worked...thanks.

BTW, nothing about this project is ideal, so the best solutions aren't even an option at this point...the files were created years ago by god knows who and I only have what I have to work with.

Do you have any idea how the image was broken into different pieces like that? It was (and is) for a print job, not web, so I can't figure out why it would have been created like that.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 20, 2021 Jul 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear that worked.

The breaking up of the image is probably caused by transparency flattening.

During flattening any transparency gets removed and images that are affected by transparency may get split into new non transparent fragments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you try opening the PDF in Photoshop and select the images tab to see if the embedded copies will work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HERE IS A LITTLE HACK FOR YOU GUYS 

1. JUST OPEN THE FILE IN PS AND INSTEAD OF SELECTING THE PAGES JUST SELECT THE IMAGES AND SAVE THEM.

2. REPLACE THE IMAGES

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

HERE IS A LITTLE HACK FOR YOU GUYS 

1. JUST OPEN THE FILE IN PS AND INSTEAD OF SELECTING THE PAGES JUST SELECT THE IMAGES AND SAVE THEM.

2. REPLACE THE IMAGES

By @Raza29005407mnn6

As Larry already wrote 2 years ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines