• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Envelope Distort Issues

New Here ,
Dec 04, 2017 Dec 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am looking to accomplish a seemingly very simple effect.

Screen Shot 2017-12-04 at 4.10.36 PM.png

I assume this was created using an envelope distort.(Though if there is another/better way I am all ears!)

However, when I use envelope distort, it comes out like this.

Screen Shot 2017-12-04 at 4.12.07 PM.png

I think I could resolve the issue by adjusting the mesh, but I can't break the handles apart.

Screen Shot 2017-12-04 at 4.13.51 PM.png

This is all especially frustrating because I can't seem to find anyone else with the issue. For example, here is a video of envelope distort being used with more extreme angles, and none of the issues I am having.

How to Fill a Shape with Text Using "Envelope Distort" in Adobe Illustrator - YouTube

Any advice?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 04, 2017 Dec 04, 2017

I would use Object > Envelope Distort > Make with Mesh.

Since the distortion is only vertical, and the distortion is only in the center, you only need one row and two columns.

With the Direct Selection tool, move the top center point up.

Then select the Anchor Point tool and move the direction line handles into place.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might try and solve this by creating two meshes (left side and right side.

But using the plugin FilterIT might get you a better result.

You could also try and make two parts and then use the free transform tool

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would use Object > Envelope Distort > Make with Mesh.

Since the distortion is only vertical, and the distortion is only in the center, you only need one row and two columns.

With the Direct Selection tool, move the top center point up.

Then select the Anchor Point tool and move the direction line handles into place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I have the same issue... I've used envelope distort a ton before. So not sure why its not working for me now. Example of what happens when I try to "envelope distort with top object" below.

I know I can use the mesh but its way more time-consuming... The shape I'm trying to warp the text to is super simple... Any idea whats going on?Screen Shot 2017-12-04 at 4.39.56 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An envelope mesh is always a "table" that has 4 corners. The trouble you face is that Illustrator is placing the corner where it decides and not where you need them.

Select the 4 anchors you want turned into corners and then use Object > Make gradient mesh.

After that select the mesh and the "You!" and Object > Envelope > Make with top object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply Monika

When I select the corners and use Object > Make gradient mesh I get a warped mesh and the same result when I use Object > Envelope > Make with top object.

Screen Shot 2017-12-04 at 5.39.05 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Envelope Distort commands are easier to work with for curvy shapes. You may try the Perspective Grid for "You!"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2017 Dec 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This looks great! I can't break the handles though. Typically, with handles if I press alt, I can control just one of  the handles at a time, but with the mesh, they won't break from each other, no matter what modifier keys are applied. How are you breaking the lock?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

larryj85940518  schrieb

This looks great! I can't break the handles though. Typically, with handles if I press alt, I can control just one of  the handles at a time, but with the mesh, they won't break from each other, no matter what modifier keys are applied. How are you breaking the lock?

Use the (convert) anchor point tool

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just realized. Thanks so much! Perfect solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines