Highlighted

Envelope Mesh - shape not conforming to guides

New Here ,
Sep 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi -

Hoping someone can give me a hand with an issue I can't seem to shake.

I'm following a YouTube tutorial about using Envelope Mesh to create fluid, curve shapes. In the tutorial, the shape conforms precisely to the guides being distorted. When I attempt it, I just get approximations—the distorted shape doesn't match up 1:1 with the guides. Attached is a screengrab. Any assistance or tips greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Monika Gause | Adobe Community Professional

Does it help when you increase precision in the Envelope options?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Envelope Mesh - shape not conforming to guides

New Here ,
Sep 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi -

Hoping someone can give me a hand with an issue I can't seem to shake.

I'm following a YouTube tutorial about using Envelope Mesh to create fluid, curve shapes. In the tutorial, the shape conforms precisely to the guides being distorted. When I attempt it, I just get approximations—the distorted shape doesn't match up 1:1 with the guides. Attached is a screengrab. Any assistance or tips greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Monika Gause | Adobe Community Professional

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 05, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 05, 2020 1
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a matter of fact, it does—completely. I wondered if I had overlooked something basic.

Thank you for the fast reply!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 05, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A follow-up question, if I may.

I am attempting to create a striped-ribbon effect by using the Envelope Mesh function. However, the stripes (lines) don't seem to want to wrap with the curvature of the ribbon boundary. Instead, the lines extend beyond the periphery and I get ragged edges via the protruding endpoints. I've played with the settings, but no success.

Screenshot -- of the issue in question and the shape (in gray) to which I'm trying to apply the Mesh -- is below.

Any thoughts appreciated. Thank you!

Screen Shot 2020-09-06 at 6.53.51 AM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 06, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That will be difficult to control.

That little bend in the lines to the right - you might try and adjust the handles of the grid in that area, but I doubt that you can manage to get them smooth.

The edges of the lines are there because the strokes are still live instead of expanded.

I would try a blend instead.

And then either mask the edges or outline the strokes and then cut them with pathfinder operations

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 06, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Belated thanks, Monika.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 06, 2020 0