• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

EPS file imports into InDesign with white areas of graphic showing as transparent

New Here ,
Jan 06, 2020 Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am importing an eps file into InDesign. It is a dog's face with white areas and other colors on the face. When I import it into InDesign, the white areas show as transparent - allowing the background color to show through. The artboard or background area around the graphic is transparent and that's great. But, I do want the white sections of the dog face to remain as white. What setting am I missing? Is this something in Illustrator or something in InDesign? Thank you!DogFace_Test.jpg

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Jan 06, 2020 Jan 06, 2020

You can make a quick white sublayer underneeth the shape of the dogs face.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can make a quick white sublayer underneeth the shape of the dogs face.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep. I did end up doing that. Just thought I may have had a setting wrong. Guess not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When the dog face is open in Illustrator, does the white inside the face show when the Transparancy Grid is activated?

Screenshot 2020-01-06 17.03.53.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. So, I guess the original artist did not really "finish" the graphic and just left it with the artboard showing through to make it look white. Would that be correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 07, 2020 Jan 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, the artist clearly did add white highlights in the eye and on the nose, but forgot to put a filled shape underneath the whole head...

Schermafbeelding 2020-01-07 om 09.59.54.png

The only oddity you might run into is that there is in fact a filled white shape beneath it all, but it might have been set to Overprint...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears like your Illustrator artwork doesn't have a true white shape, it is already transparent. But there is a quick way to remedy this. Draw a cyan filled square and place it behind the dog. Next, click on your shape builder tool. Holding down option (or Alt key if on windows), click inside the dog's face where the cyan color appears. This turns that area into its own separate shape that you can change to a white fill. Next, select the outside cyan shape that surrounds the outside edge of the dog and delete it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 17, 2020 Jan 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Don't use EPS in modern days. Use AI oder PDF/X-4. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines