• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Eraser not working

New Here ,
Feb 04, 2020 Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm new to illustrator and I've been struggling with the eraser tool recently. This is probably simple but the resources online just confuse me. Basically, I'm trying to color and shade a drawing, but when I try to touch up edges the eraser tool either deletes whole strokes(which eliminates whole sections of the drawing rather than cleaning up the edge) or warps the strokes it touches. 

Can the eraser tool only erase entire strokes? How can I fix this? It's practically unusable if I can't do this.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post screen shots of what you are trying to do - it may be that the eraser tool is not the best suited for your task. (It has a different use and functionality from the eraser in Photoshop.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show some screenshots that may explain your issue?

Also, which version of Illustrator are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2020 Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using the latest version, Illustrator 24.0.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. I agree with earlier responses about more information. In addition to that, you may find how eraser tool works on help article https://helpx.adobe.com/in/illustrator/using/editing-paths.html#erase_artwork
Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the article. Maybe the path eraser is more what I'm looking for? I can't seem to find it. Also, I posted some gifs of the issue, is this normal, or am I screwing something up? Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

eraser.giferaser2.gif

Here are a couple of gifs of what I'm referring to. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what exactly youare erasing there.

Have you tried making some simple shapes and then erasing them in order to get a feeling of how the eraser works?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the same issue with basic shapes and lines(paintbrush tool). It appears to be warping the lines instead of erasing them. It does the same with the box tool and the pen tool. None of the shapes in the gif are filled. Is this normal?

eraser3.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is normal if you erase filled ánd stroked paths. The resulting paths will be filled and stroked (and closed if the path was closed).

Try a path with only a fill or try a path with only a stroke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see what you mean, thanks. The eraser still doesn't really work on very large strokes. Is there a different tool that would work better?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, can someone please answer this question? I'm having the same issue. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Hi, can someone please answer this question? I'm having the same issue. Thanks."

Please describe your issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is exactly the same as described above by rchrist. The last question rchrist asked was, "Is there a different tool that would work better [for erasing the outer lines on a shape]?" That's the question I'm also asking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines