• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Eraser tool doesn't Erase

Explorer ,
Oct 29, 2011 Oct 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my practice session using the Eraser tool I can't make it work.  From Help, "To erase any object on the artboard, leave all objects unselected". 

That works -- until I stop the mouse drag and let go of the button.  Then the paths and fill bounce back from invisibility instantly. 

GM, using Win 7 and AI cs5.

TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Oct 30, 2011 Oct 30, 2011

Got it -- I think.

The Eraser Tool works, but only on paths that are filled, even if only partially.

Additionally, it doesn't work at all with raster images.

If true, the part of Help, "Erase objects using the Eraser tool" needs a bit of clarifying.

GM

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you confusing the Eraser (looks like a brick) with the Path Eraser (looks like a pencil)?

JET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No.  I might add that the Path Eraser works just fine.

GM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you create those paths? What kind of object are they?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Show a sample file and explain what you are doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here, I'll try to upload a local file.  Last time, the uploader didn't work and I had to post it first to Photobucket.

JunkAI_EraseSample.jpg

Line 1 is a piece of freehand text "ERASE" created with a caligraphic brush, 5 pts stroke.

Line 2 is the result of dragging the Eraser tool, 200 dia., across, from right to left. The top of the round eraser passed over the lower 2/3 of the word. As it passed over, that portion of the text completely disappeared.  When done, however, it all came back except for small gaps or breaks that you can see.

Line 3 is the result of selection of the lower half. It reveals that the paths have indeed been affected -- but not erased.

GM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2011 Nov 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your stroke is set to have rounded ends. The lines are being erased and then rounded off. This is what makes it appear the way it does. When a rounded end is selected for your strokes, Flash renders the "rounding" effect outside of the actual path. You can see this effect reduced if you decrease the stroke size of a given line. This will also decrease the thickness of the rounded end as well and the gaps where you erased will increase.

Make sense or am I just making things worse?

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 09, 2011 Nov 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good catch!

-Tony

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 30, 2011 Oct 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it -- I think.

The Eraser Tool works, but only on paths that are filled, even if only partially.

Additionally, it doesn't work at all with raster images.

If true, the part of Help, "Erase objects using the Eraser tool" needs a bit of clarifying.

GM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2016 May 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a problem with the eraser tool too, it is creating paths instead of erasing. I tested it with a basic polygon and tried to erase through it and no it just created points.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 25, 2016 May 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't compare this to Photoshop.

Maybe you want to cut something away from the polygon, then just select the path segments and delete them.

How to edit and reshape paths in Illustrator

How to adjust path segments in Illustrator

For more complex operations try live paint

How to create and work with Live Paint groups in Illustrator

In case you're a beginner, please read the documentation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2017 Aug 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the solid pointer (direct select tool) to highlight the item you are going to use the eraser tool on.  After you have clicked on the item, then click on the eraser tool and swipe away

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2017 Oct 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That helped, thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2022 Dec 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same problem! I dont know how to fix it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 29, 2022 Dec 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jessica27305672c9du  schrieb:

I have this same problem! I dont know how to fix it

Please describe your problem and show us a screenshot. Probably in a new thread, because it's already hard to find your post in this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 11, 2012 Jun 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I drew a stroked path with no fill and then experienced the same interaction with the chosen cap where the eraser went across the path. I then expanded the stroked, unfilled path and the eraser tool cut a nice swath across the path without the later addition of the cap. It looked exactly like what I expected it would, but only after expanding the path first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2018 Feb 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I paid 30 dollar a month for this I believe this product needs erase properly.  My window paint program erases exactly as it states.  Huge problem for me to draw in over shapes to make things erase very poor design and I still can not get all the area out.  I want my money back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 24, 2018 Feb 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

schrieb

I paid 30 dollar a month for this I believe this product needs erase properly.  My window paint program erases exactly as it states.  Huge problem for me to draw in over shapes to make things erase very poor design and I still can not get all the area out.  I want my money back.

Please show.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2019 Sep 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The eraser tool just right for the illustrated program. This is a commercial level program. If you want to use interface to manipulate bit or raster use photoshop. Having the easer work on a vector image would be a real problem. This aint paint program its a vector illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 27, 2020 Dec 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry but this is nonsensical. Illustrator doesn't have a "bitmap" eraser tool because * personal guess * Adobe wants you to pay for Photoshop AND Illustrator to get such functionality. Nothing would prevent them to have a standard eraser on top of vector eraser in Illustrator, except a commercial drive. So yes indeed, this is "a commercial level" program, but we certainly do not put the same meaning in it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 28, 2020 Dec 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Illustrator doesn't have a "bitmap" eraser tool because * personal guess * Adobe wants you to pay for Photoshop AND Illustrator to get such functionality"

You don't need Photoshop anymore when Adobe gives you a pixel based eraser inside Illustrator? Have you ever really used Photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cannot erase on a shape. Quite frustrating when the erasor tool warps an image rather than erase it 

defaultdrr72v18jreu_0-1635876886873.png

When I use the eraser on a tool this happens. and yes, its the same if unselected.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? When responding please don't use jargon as I wont understand, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're not doing anything wrong. That is the eraser tool working exactly as designed.

What are you trying to achieve?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is exactly how the eraser tool in Illustrator is intended to work. Can you describe what you were expecting/wanting to happen?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2022 Nov 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Illustrator on iPad and two things are happening while using eraser. First, I am not able to erase with drawing the shapes of the "movements" of erasing if I select any colour for the outline. Second, even then I am not able to erase some objects (or print area in my artwork's case). That area simply doesn't get affected at all. How to erase " like normally" with eraser in Illustrator on iPad.. if you make any mistake or something like that without creating any new outlines? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines