Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

eraser tool painting instead of erasing in Adobe Illustrator

New Here ,
Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

starting pointstarting pointafter use eraser toolafter use eraser tool

The first image on the left above shows my starting point.  I want to erase the 4 sharp points in the inside of the overlapping circles so they look smooth.  However, when I select the eraser tool and click+drag it over the points on the inside/left of the image, I get the result shown in the second picture above.  What am I doing wrong?  The circles are not grouped together but they are in the same layer.

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

Ok, This is what I normally do...

So let's say I created a path like you  have. 

I usually to Object>Expand.  This turns my line into a closed object.  Then I can erase parts of the object.

Before doing this, if I am trying to erase it continues to try to close the line.  And that is the issue you are running into.

I even expand TEXT too if I want to erase or adjust parts of it.

Here is a example... for every line of this project I expaned the line to become an object.  As you will see it

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, This is what I normally do...

So let's say I created a path like you  have. 

I usually to Object>Expand.  This turns my line into a closed object.  Then I can erase parts of the object.

Before doing this, if I am trying to erase it continues to try to close the line.  And that is the issue you are running into.

I even expand TEXT too if I want to erase or adjust parts of it.

Here is a example... for every line of this project I expaned the line to become an object.  As you will see it has quite a lot of lines. 

https://kennshinabery.myportfolio.com/ghostbusters-jillian-holtzmann-kate-mckinnon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines