Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Eraser Tool

Jul 14, 2011 Jul 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I"m a beginner!   When I try to use the eraser tool in Illustrator....  It comes up as an upside down pencil with a line through it.   Can't erase anything.

Please help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Jul 09, 2018 Jul 09, 2018

This video includes the Blob Brush also, but simple technique using the Eraser Tool.

Using the Blob Brush and Eraser tools

tip: use the bracket keys [ ] next to P key to increase the brush size of Eraser/Blob Tools

As Sosha mentioned, make sure to unlock Layer(s).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to select the object(s) you want to erase from.

But you may get unexpected results; it's not like the eraser in Photoshop.

Unless you really want to take eraser-shaped bites out of things you might do better editing the vectors with scissors and the pen tools.

At least I think it is better for beginners to learn the basics first. The eraser isn't exactly basic – see what happens when you use it on a filled and stroked object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are you trying to erase?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was trying to shorten a line that was created with the pen tool.   I have now figured out that I can add an anchor point and shorten the line that way..... but I still don't understand why my eraser tool looks like an upside down pencil with a / slash or line through it ..... as if to say.....  no you can't erase anything.

I'm sure it is something that I have done wrong but ....   ?????

I guess I can always save it and open it in photoshop and erase it that way but it's like..... why can't I do it in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 06, 2014 Nov 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sosha,

You get that upside down pencil with the line through it if you attempt to draw on a locked layer. If you unlock the layer you should be able to see the eraser pointer. See screen-shot:

Layer.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2014 Nov 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im a beginner as well and i found this when i was trying to figure that out. I have no idea why.. but you click the expand button and it lets you do it.. whatever that means.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2014 Dec 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone please post a link/video tutorial... I'm having the same issue(s). Granted, I'm equally inexperienced, but I do know how to select an individual item/layer...Having said that, when I select a layer, I'm receiving the same error.

I know Pixelmator/Gimp aren't the same... but while trying to "improve myself" by learning AI, I'm running into nothing but these types of problems. Someone pleaseee redeem my faith in AI!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 09, 2018 Jul 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This video includes the Blob Brush also, but simple technique using the Eraser Tool.

Using the Blob Brush and Eraser tools

tip: use the bracket keys [ ] next to P key to increase the brush size of Eraser/Blob Tools

As Sosha mentioned, make sure to unlock Layer(s).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2018 Sep 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem and the item is unlocked.  Will the eraser only work on certain file formats?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 07, 2018 Sep 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

herbe57413747  schrieb

Having the same problem and the item is unlocked.  Will the eraser only work on certain file formats?

The eraser will only work on vector paths.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2021 Mar 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The link is not working anymore!  "502 Bad Gateway"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 02, 2021 Mar 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes. It's an old video.

Unfortunately there is no new one. Can you perhaps describe your issue and then let's see how we can help you on the forum?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines