Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error -54 in Illustrator CC 2017

New Here ,
Jun 16, 2017 Jun 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm getting an error message when I start up Illustrator that says: "Can't open the illustration. The file is locked or in use."  ID:-54 (pictured below)

Someone please help! I've already uninstalled and reinstalled several times.

Screen Shot 2017-06-16 at 9.34.49 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Jul 14, 2020 Jul 14, 2020

For me, the issue was Dropbox smart sync. After CTRL clicking the containing folder and selecting "Smart Sync>Local", I was then able to open the file in illustrator 2020

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Jun 15, 2022 Jun 15, 2022

I dragged the file from the saved folder to my desktop and opened it from there... for some reason, it worked. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

I solved this problem by changing mac's system preferences.

system preferences > security & privacy > privacy > full disk access > check adobe illustrator and photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 17, 2017 Jun 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the file on your harddisk? Or on a server?

If on a server: download it to your harddisk first, then open.

If on your harddisk: check access privileges.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2019 Dec 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello I got the same message and the file is on hard disk 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 18, 2017 Dec 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated to Illustrator CC2018 and get the same message when I launch the program and try to make a new document.  It makes no sense. Here is what I see every time.  Can anyone please help?

Screen Shot 2017-12-18 at 3.16.59 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this is High Sierra? Is it updated to the latest version?

Which file system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on Sierra.  I usually wait just a little before I update my operating system to get the bugs fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

julietc30864518  schrieb

I am on Sierra.  I usually wait just a little before I update my operating system to get the bugs fixed.

That's good.

When did you last restart the computer?

Are any third party plugins installed?

Is a printer connected and turned on?

Can you try and rebuild the preferences?

Rename the folder so that you can revert in case it doesn't help:

How to set preferences in Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

June 2020 and this issue is still very much prevelant. I have just bought a new MacBook and have installed illustrator and I am trying to open my work from OneDrive and it gives me this error. 
error -54

why am I paying adobe money?? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens when you move the file to the local harddrive?

Also: is a printer installed, set up as default printer and turned on? If not, install a PDF printer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 04, 2022 May 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same happens to me even after I move files to local HD. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 04, 2022 May 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @RonPaul2016,

Sorry to hear about that. Would you mind sharing a few more details like:

• OS & version of Illustartor
  • Is this happening with a specific file or all?
  • Are you using any backup software (TimeMachine) or Antivirus?
  • Is the file located in a local shared folder or Cloud service folder like Dropbox, OneDrive, or Creative Cloud files folder?

Also, please check & confirm if you are getting this error while running the app in Safe Mode (MacWindows) & Root/ Hidden Admin account (MacWindows).

We will be looking forward to your response.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 14, 2020 Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me, the issue was Dropbox smart sync. After CTRL clicking the containing folder and selecting "Smart Sync>Local", I was then able to open the file in illustrator 2020

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! After looking/trying several options this solution finally fixed the error and gave me access to my working files again! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What did you try? I'm having this same issue when trying to access a file from a different computer to the one I created it on via dropbox. I have also tried to duplicate it (error message said file cannot be read) and I have tried to take it out of dropbox but this didn't help either!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solution worked for me. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 30, 2021 Jun 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried doing this and it didn't work for me. I also tried copying these files to my hard drive and it still didn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2021 Aug 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The synching aspect was the issue for me aswell - worked immediately so thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2021 Aug 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here! Dropbox "smart" sync was the culprit for both AI and XD files that wouldn't open. 😤

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started doing this: I log into Dropbox online, then I download the file, work on it and save it on my computer, then upload the file again to Dropbox. It only happens every once in awhile, so that's how I solve the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me too (it's Nov 2021) thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2023 Mar 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thx bro 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2021 Nov 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this same issue with a drive file. I renamed the file in drive, redownloaded and was able to successfully open it! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2022 Jan 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Team,

I am facing the same issue, i have created a plugin using SDK, its simple Hellp Word sample plugin, when i try to install .AIP file inthe illustrator i am getting the same error. "Can't Open the Illustration. The file is locked or in use. ID: -54"

i am new in the plugin developmenet, using the Xcode adn C++ for creating the plugin. please help me out to install the plgin.

Thanks

Amit 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2022 Jan 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I changed the file name manually outside of illustrator and then was able
to open the previously locked file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2022 Feb 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

im using a western digital my cloud and this is driving me nuts. I had hoped the rename would get me back in action but no luck. Fustration is high!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines