• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error "An unknown error caused the operation to fail" while exporting raster images from Ai 2020

New Here ,
Nov 15, 2019 Nov 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After updating to Illustrator 2020 I am getting error messages when trying to export file as a TIF, PSD, PNG, JPG (any Photoshop compatible file). Does not happen to every file. I've tried to compare differences of the files and they are all types. Some all vector, some with TIF or PDF files incorporated in them. Double checked all my preferences and also did an uninstall/reinstall of application. Problem persists.

Error message is as follows: ! An unknown error caused the operation to fail.

Screen shot of error attached.

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Import and export , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 15, 2019 Nov 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't replicate this on Windows? What OS are you using?

It may be worth posting your bug here: https://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 22, 2019 Nov 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out and highliting this. We have recently released an update for Illustrator 2020 (v 24.0.1) which contains some stability fixes. If you are not already on v 24.0.1, then we recommend you to update to the latest version and let us know how it goes.

PS: As of now, v(24.0.1) is released only in Germany, Canada, France, Italy, India, Australia, Netherlands. It will be rolled out to all geos soon.

For more details please take a look at this post:  https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/new-update-for-illustrator-24-0-1/td-p/10757029

If that doesn't help, I would request that if you can share a few more details like:

• Operating system you are working on.
  • Where the exported files are saved (Network Drive/ System HDD/ Shared Folder on System /External HDD)
  • Will it be possible for you to share a sample file?

We’re here to help, just need more info. 

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2019 Nov 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing the same issues - not all files but some of them! 

So annoying and im falling behind in my workload thanks to this issue - Have tried upgrading to the 24.0.1 and NOTHING! 

How do i go back to the 2019 version? 

Thanks,

Kris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 25, 2019 Nov 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do i go back to the 2019 version? 

In the CC app click the 3 dots and check the Other Versions.

OLDER VERSIONS.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2019 Nov 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently Illustrator has become hyper sensitive to symbols in file and/or folder names. Remove any symbols (i.e., backslash (/), bullet (•), hashtag (#) etc.) Underscore (_) and hyphen (-) are okay. I removed these symbols from my folder names (only a few, coincidentally the ones I was having issues with) and no longer have any issues.

Good Luck,

Best Wishes,

Trish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 16, 2020 Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue, v 24.1 on Mac Pro Mojave with a simple vector logo. Thank you Trish for the suggestion... it worked, as I had a "/" in the filename of the folder I was exporting to. Changed to a "_" and all good now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 29, 2019 Nov 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kris, 

So sorry to hear about this. Please try the steps shared by Trish and let us know if that helps.

Also, you can keep two versions installed on your system. While we are troubleshooting, you can install 2019 version from the Creative Cloud desktop app: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/download-install/using/install-previous-version.html

Regards!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue right now. Can't export as TIFF.
Changing the file's name did not solved it, neither replacing the images in the file or creating a new one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How big is the file? What's the resolution that you are using while trying to save? Where are you saving? (Desktop, external drive, synced drive)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2021 Sep 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had this issue, and it seemed to be lack of disk space on my computer. I cleared some space, and was able to export to .tif without issues. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines