Highlighted

Error - "Incoming Variable Library Is Invalid" while uploading a CSV data source file in Illustrator

Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all!

I'm trying to make a bunch of business cards using a template en masse with a Excel document.

This contains Inuktitut characters that I would like to remain in the finished product. I've tried it with and without the Inuktitut, all the cells are filled and I've done a search for all empty cells to be sure. Each time, the result is the same: invalid library. What could be going wrong?

Here is what happened when I tried to investigate possible problems listed here: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/illustrator/using/data-driven-graphics-templates-variables.html#Facingiss...

Your CSV file is not blank.
I've checked.

The spreadsheets that you've created using the latest version of Microsoft Excel are saved as CSV (Comma delimited) (*.csv) or CSV (MS-DOS) (*.csv) and those created using Apple Numbers are saved as CSV format with Unicode (UTF-8) encoding. Data source files saved in any other file format such as Macintosh Comma Separated (*.csv) are not supported for data merge.
Done. Both with comma delimited and MS-DOS.

All columns have a data field name. For example, Illustrator displays the error message when a column in your data source file contains data but doesn't have a data field name.
Done. All columns have a data field name.

The data source file doesn't have a blank column in between any filled columns. For example, Illustrator displays the error message when column B and D in your data source file contain data but column C is empty.
There are no blank columns. I've used find and replace to verify.

A. Data field name is missing for a column B. There's a blank column between filled columns
There are no blank field names.

The data field names in your spreadsheet don't contain any blank spaces.
There are no blank spaces.

The paths referring to image and graph files in your source file don't contain any blank spaces.
There are no blank spaces, image files or graphs.

The graph files linked from your data source file are saved as comma-delimited (.csv) files.
There is no graph.

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
How to, Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Error - "Incoming Variable Library Is Invalid" while uploading a CSV data source file in Illustrator

Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all!

I'm trying to make a bunch of business cards using a template en masse with a Excel document.

This contains Inuktitut characters that I would like to remain in the finished product. I've tried it with and without the Inuktitut, all the cells are filled and I've done a search for all empty cells to be sure. Each time, the result is the same: invalid library. What could be going wrong?

Here is what happened when I tried to investigate possible problems listed here: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/illustrator/using/data-driven-graphics-templates-variables.html#Facingiss...

I've checked.

The spreadsheets that you've created using the latest version of Microsoft Excel are saved as CSV (Comma delimited) (*.csv) or CSV (MS-DOS) (*.csv) and those created using Apple Numbers are saved as CSV format with Unicode (UTF-8) encoding. Data source files saved in any other file format such as Macintosh Comma Separated (*.csv) are not supported for data merge.

All columns have a data field name. For example, Illustrator displays the error message when a column in your data source file contains data but doesn't have a data field name.

The data source file doesn't have a blank column in between any filled columns. For example, Illustrator displays the error message when column B and D in your data source file contain data but column C is empty.

A. Data field name is missing for a column B. There's a blank column between filled columns

The paths referring to image and graph files in your source file don't contain any blank spaces.

The graph files linked from your data source file are saved as comma-delimited (.csv) files.
There is no graph.

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
How to, Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 23, 2020 1
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your difficulties. If I get it correctly, you are getting this error The incoming variable library is invalid while uploading a CSV data source file. There could be multiple reasons behind why this would have happened. Few of them are listed in this help article (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/illustrator/using/data-driven-graphics-templates-variables.html#Facingiss...). 

Let us know if this helps or if you have any further questions.

Regards,

Srishti

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 23, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you kindly for your advice. Here are the results of me having followed that link. Where do we go from here? Incidentally, using CSV with UTF-8 encoding did not preserve the special characters that are required for Inuktitut syllabics. 

I've checked.

There is no graph.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 24, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same exact problem as the original poster. My file also does not break any of the rules in the help article you posted. The software does not seem to be worknig as intended.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 30, 2020 2
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this exact problem as well.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 10, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone else have any theories?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 25, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bump!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 26, 2020 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it doesn't work, can you try the VariableImporter script?

Illustrator is just very prissy about CSV ...

https://github.com/Silly-V/Adobe-Illustrator/blob/master/Variable%20Importer/VariableImporter.jsx

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 26, 2020 0