• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error: "The operation cannot complete because of an unknown error [NOKY]" in Illustrator

Explorer ,
Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is the message I get when I try to scale an object in Illustrator 25.3.1 when I try to scale an object.

Mac OS 11.4.

What is the fix for this? I use Illustrator professionally, and can't afford for it to simply refuse to perform straightforward tasks.

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 5 Correct answers

New Here , Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021
I ended up uninstalling and reverting back to 2020 versions and I havent
had problems! Both in photoshop and illustrator!

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

I selected the object I was having trouble with and hit the Object: Expand Appearance and it solved the problem. Might help.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Apr 19, 2022 Apr 19, 2022

I figured it out for my project. (Someone suggested it earlier in the discussion.)

I'm using: iMac-M1chip, macOS Monterey 12.3.1/illustrator 26.2.1

>Window>Transform> uncheck 'Scale Strokes & Effects'

Now I can Shift + drag to scale my grouped objects.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Aug 21, 2023 Aug 21, 2023

I found that only *some* objects / layers of illustrator art files were (no other word I can come up with other than "corrupted").  I ended up recreating thoses objects / layers from scratch and the entire art is now scalable with no issues.

FYI: I did not upgrade or downgrade software, just tested until I found the objects that would not scale dues to the noky error.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Mar 25, 2024 Mar 25, 2024

My solve was to rasterize the layer I needed to scale, I don't need to edit this art so this work around worked. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you working off, or saving to, a network, or any of your links on a network?

What's the object you're trying to scale and is it linked?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No network at all and the object was created in Illustrator and is native to the document. (It's a path with multiple strokes.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this trouble. In addition to the question asked above, could you please share some more information like:

• Is the issue related to a specific document? If yes, could you please share the document with us? You can upload it to the Creative Cloud (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/share.html) and share the download link.
  • Are there any recent changes made to your system? For example, any antivirus, system updates or web extensions installed recently.

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks & Regards,
Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

It is happening across multiple documents.

My system hasn't been updated recently, and no extensions have been added.

I did some digging, and I think it may be related to a "Legacy Gaussian Blur" effect applied to the stroke. I won't be able to go through and alter hundreds of paths that use this effect — is there a way to update them globally?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I am sorry about this trouble. We tried but couldn't replicate this behavior. Could you please share a sample file with us? You can upload it to the Creative Cloud ( https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/share.html ) and share the download link.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2021 Jul 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you manage to find a solution to this? I am experiencing the same problem and cannot find a solution. It seems to stem from the "scale strokes and effects" in preferences. Without that selected it performs fine...but i'm a professional illustrator and cannot wotk without this preference enabled. Please help! Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2021 Aug 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

não é uma solução permanente mas é um improviso .... expandir aparencia ... Menu>Objeto>Expandir Aparência

creio que esse erro só vai ser corrigido na atualização do AI .... desconfio que no meu computador foi por causa da ataulização sistema operacioinal 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem such an irritaition, is because of a new update? never had this problem before, please give solution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2021 Aug 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Na versão beta 25.5 não tive problemas ... baixei o mesmo arquivo que enviei para analize, fiz os mesmos testes e funcionou normalmente. 

pode ser que é erro no redimensionamento de brilhos, degrades e sombras.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same error!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MISMO ERROR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here.  Happened first time today on a logo. I've used this logo multiple time before.

The work around for me was "expand appearance".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2021 Jul 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mesmo erro aqui, trabalhando ontem com o arquivo e estava tranquilo, hoje não consigo redimensionar a logo, percebi que acontece só quando está o icone que tem efeitos de gradiente e blur. Segue arquivo para analise.

Tive atualizações no Windows ontem.

https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/5a5e5570-3751-4e99-7149-3486e4b58643

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 02, 2021 Aug 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry for the delayed response. I checked your file on both Mac and Windows machines, and it worked perfectly fine. I have sent you a DM for more details, please check.

Regards!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2021 Aug 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same error, so frustrating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 21, 2021 Aug 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this trouble. Could you please share the file with us? You can upload it to the Creative Cloud (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/share.html) and share the download link.

Thanks and Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bom dia, quando adobe atualizar para o 25.5 se não me engano o erro é reparado ....  fiz um teste no beta do 25.5 e foi tranquilo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear that @luism16869532. Let us know if you come across this issue or any other issue. We'd be happy to help.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem such an irritaition, is because of a new update? never had this problem before, please give solution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this trouble. I would request you to please share your OS and the exact version of Illustrator. Also, could it be possible for you to share the file with us? You can upload it to the Creative Cloud (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/share.html) and share the download link here or via DM.

Thanks and Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2021 Sep 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. This NOKY issue appears for me when I try to scale an object. In general the last 3 or so months I have had constant issues with Photoshop and Illustrator not working as it normally would. The bugs with the latest updates have interfered with my workflow and have caused delays in completing work. Hope there is a solution to this soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2023 Sep 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue is the newest version - 29.1 rollback to to a 28.__._ version and you should be good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 24, 2021 Sep 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

We are sorry to hear about this trouble you are facing, and thanks for raising this issue. I understand how important it is to you all to get this issue addressed. We'd be happy to look into this for you. Firstly, I would recommend you all to update Illustrator and the Operating system to the latest. If that doesn't help, I would request you all to share some more details which help us investigate the issue like:

• OS and Illustrtaor version
  • System Specification
  • GPU (Internal and external)
  • Share a sample file in which you are facing the issue. Package the file, upload it to the Creative Cloud (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/share.html) and share the download link here or via DM.
    Anshul_Saini_2-1632522465911.png

• Share Illustrator folders from the following location:
    macOS:
    ~/Library/Caches
    ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe
    ~/Library/Preferences
    Anshul_Saini_0-1632522125326.png

For Windows:
    C:\Users\your_username\AppData\Roaming\Adobe

Anshul_Saini_1-1632522341795.png

We will be looking forward to your response.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2021 Sep 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same NOKY error when trying to scale artwork :0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines