Highlighted

Error while opening files in Ai 2020 on macOS Catalina: "Missing Plugin"

Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everybody

I've installed the update of MAc (Catalina) and the update of Illustrator (CC2020)
and I can't use illustrator anymore, each time i want to open one of my files (created before in Illustrator), i received an error message with no solution to resolve it 

"impossible to read the file because the plug-in cannot interpret this file" 

any help ? i really need to work with Illustrator and it's not possible anymore 

{Renamed by MOD}

Hi All,

Sorry to hear about this error. This has been reported by a few other users as well and we are still investigating this. Please try following these steps and let us know how it goes.

Go to System Preferences > Full Disk Access > Make sure the Checkbox in front of Illustrator is checked.

Plugin error while opening files.png

Once done, quit Illustrator and relaunch it again and you should be able to open the files.

Regards,

Srishti

Topics

Performance, Third party plugins

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Error while opening files in Ai 2020 on macOS Catalina: "Missing Plugin"

Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everybody

I've installed the update of MAc (Catalina) and the update of Illustrator (CC2020)
and I can't use illustrator anymore, each time i want to open one of my files (created before in Illustrator), i received an error message with no solution to resolve it 

"impossible to read the file because the plug-in cannot interpret this file" 

any help ? i really need to work with Illustrator and it's not possible anymore 

{Renamed by MOD}

Hi All,

Sorry to hear about this error. This has been reported by a few other users as well and we are still investigating this. Please try following these steps and let us know how it goes.

Go to System Preferences > Full Disk Access > Make sure the Checkbox in front of Illustrator is checked.

Once done, quit Illustrator and relaunch it again and you should be able to open the files.

Regards,

Srishti

Topics

Performance, Third party plugins

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 06, 2019 2
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have any third-party plug-ins installed for Illustrator or for the OS? If so they are most likely not up to date and will not work with the new versions of the program or OS. Try disabling any third party plug-ins and see if the problem persists. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 06, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Zero plug in installed on my computer for Illustrator it's for that i don't understand why i have this problem 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 06, 2019 0
Advocate ,
Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Restart Illustrator, then try moving your file to a different folder and reopen it. Does that work?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 06, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nop it doesn't work :'( 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 06, 2019 0
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Clementine,

Sorry to hear about this. Looks like you were using some plugins with previous version, which are not compatible with the current one. 

Please try installing version 2019 and check if that opens the file? If the file opens there, then please reach out to the plugin manufacturer for the version that is compatible with the latest release.

Regards,

Srishti

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 06, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I try it and it doesn't work too now with 2019 
they said "Unable to read this file because an error occurred"

i really don't understand because yesterday i work on this with no problem since i have Catalina and updated Illustrator nothing work

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 06, 2019 0
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh no! Could you please share a sample file with us? We can try opening it at our end. 

Regards!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 07, 2019 0
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm having the same problem.  I have an existing file that won't open in either 2020 or 2019.  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 14, 2019 0
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Regards,

Srishti

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 15, 2019 3
Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me! Tried a load of other solutions with no luck. Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 20, 2019 0
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have the steps for Windows 10? I'm having the same issue

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 06, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I'm on a Mac and have no knowledge of Windows 😞

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 06, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This didn't work for me. Pls help.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 13, 2020 0
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Srishti! Thank you so much! This did the trick! I too upgraded to Catalina a few days ago and had some Ai files not open in Ai with the message "Could not read the file because an error has occurred.". Was a bit scary but after following your tip to enable full disk access all is back to normal. Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 05, 2020 0
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me too! Many thanks!!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 01, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've been having this issue with the latest CC illustrator and OS Catalina when trying to place any file into an empty project. When I go to look in the full disk access folder, I see photoshop and indesign but no Illustrator on the list!!! Please help. I was on chat with adobe support for 5 hours the other day and they failed to solve any issue for me (there are multiple).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 24, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this worked thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 01, 2019 0