Highlighted

Error while saving PDF in Illustrator 2020 (24.2) "An unknown error has occurred".

Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, I just updated my Illustrator to v 24.2 and now I cant save to a pdf - I get an "unknown error"

Screen Shot 2020-06-21 at 3.14.20 PM.png
Is there something I can do to fix or will Adobe push out a fix (hopefully asap)

Thank you!

{Renamed by MOD}

I was able to save the file as a PDF (https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/2e9fbdea-0d74-4367-526d-83144990923a). Could you please confirm where the Illustrator file and other linked files are saved (Network Drive/ System HDD/ Shared Folder on System /External HDD)? Which PDF preset you are using to save file as PDF?

Topics

Import and export, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Error while saving PDF in Illustrator 2020 (24.2) "An unknown error has occurred".

Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, I just updated my Illustrator to v 24.2 and now I cant save to a pdf - I get an "unknown error"

Screen Shot 2020-06-21 at 3.14.20 PM.png
Is there something I can do to fix or will Adobe push out a fix (hopefully asap)

Thank you!

{Renamed by MOD}

I was able to save the file as a PDF (https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/2e9fbdea-0d74-4367-526d-83144990923a). Could you please confirm where the Illustrator file and other linked files are saved (Network Drive/ System HDD/ Shared Folder on System /External HDD)? Which PDF preset you are using to save file as PDF?

Topics

Import and export, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this trouble. That's definitely not an expected behavior with the application. Let us help you with this. Would you mind sharing a few more details like:

• Could you please confirm which operating system you are working on?
  • Is the issue related to a specific document? If yes, could you please share the document with us? You can upload it to the Creative Cloud (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/share.html) and share the download link.
  • Where the files are saved (Network Drive/ System HDD/ Shared Folder on System /External HDD)?

A similar issue was reported in version 24.0 as well, which was fixed in later releases, however, you may still try the steps shared on this UserVoice page (https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-bugs/suggestions/38961718-ai-2020-v-24-u...).

If that doesn't help, try the steps shared on this similar discussion (https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/quot-an-unknown-error-has-occurred-quot-save-issue/td-p/8...) and share your observations with us. 

Regards,

Srishti

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! My business partner is having the same problem (she's on the same type of system as I am).

I'm using a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) Version 10.15.4 MacOS Catalina

Yes, that was a good question! I found that only this is indeed the only document that has issues when trying to save to PDF. We received this file from someone else, but I resaved and it's still not working.

(Ignore the missing images and/or fonts)

I'm not sure what kind of system the person who sent us the file uses (a PC I think).

Thank you for your help!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my goodness...I think that must have been the issue - not sure why I didn't think to look there. I guess I assumed my settings would always be set when trying to save (not come from the person who's file we received).

I noticed the settings below....

Screen Shot 2020-06-21 at 5.37.09 PM.png

and changed to this...

Screen Shot 2020-06-21 at 5.38.27 PM.png

I also only checked these...(the other person had all of these checked)

Screen Shot 2020-06-21 at 5.38.44 PM.png

Once I did that, it worked! Thank you!!!!!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has also happened in my company since updating to 24.2 on our Macs. So far we have discovered outlining fonts will let us save the AI file (which isn't always an option). We're using Universal Type client for our font management.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you already tried uninstalling or disabling Universal Type Client?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika I haven't, unfortunately since we're working on client supplied files that need live fonts disabling Universal Type Client isn't an option for us. I haven't uninstalled because it's happened to multiple users just since we updated to 24.2.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The trouble is that Illustrator is very, very, very prissy about font management and the UTC might just not be compatible with this update. You need to check that.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines