• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error while saving type as SVG

New Here ,
May 31, 2021 May 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to save several typographic designs as SVG, type as SVG not outline. For some files it works perfectly, with others I get an error saying "Text is converted to outline". I can't figure out why, I'm hoping someone here can help.
Thanks

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 12, 2022 Nov 12, 2022

Once you outlined your text you need to merge objects (letters) - Pathfinder. This works for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
May 31, 2021 May 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Likely the artwork simply has a ton of custom formatting like different kerning, letter scaling and so on. this of course won't translate to SVG as native text simply because there is no way to render it in SVG that way and retain the appearance.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assumed as much, so there's no kerning, no nothing, it's just the type plain as day - and still, it won't translate. But I did just different fonts.. is the program capable of seeing them as different fonts in the code?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which fonts do work?

Which don't?

Exactly how do you export the file and which options do you use for the text?

How is the text formatted? Are there Ligatures?

I think we can all imagine how an Illustrator error looks like, but could you show the text objects?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can only use Google Fonts (due to some requirements from my client). Some work and some don't (hence, this cry for help).  If it's relevant which exact fonts work and doesn't, I can give a list:
Works: Noto Sans KR, Roboto, Roboto Condensed, Open Sans, Open Sans Condensed, Poppins and Allan.
Doesn't work: Oswald and Quicksand
It might also be worth noting that Roboto, Oswald and Sanchez do not translate to SVG when in the same file.

Some of the designs have several different fonts, so I tried changing them out so I only used one per .ai file, but that didn't work either. 

When I 'save as...' I choose SVG from the drop-down, check the 'use artboards' box and I'll attach a screenshot of the last step.

There are ligatures. Both I and my client are Norwegian and we use the letters æ, ø and Ã¥ as well. So I always check beforehand that all the fonts I use also includes æ, ø and Ã¥. When setting up the text I simply hit "T" on the keyboard, type in the words and pick a downloaded font from Google Fonts. The rest is paragraph styling like 'Paragraph' and 'Area Type'. I'll add a screenshot of that too in case I'm not explaining this well enough. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever figure this out? I'm facing exactly the same issue with a Google Font (Libre Franklin - SemiBold) with no custom text formatting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2022 Nov 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once you outlined your text you need to merge objects (letters) - Pathfinder. This works for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2023 Nov 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, don't select "save" select "export" file as an SVG, go to File - Export - Export as. This will open a new dialogue box where you can select SVG as an option. You might want to tick the Use Artboards box and select the range you want to export.

This should fix it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines