• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Esc Key Not Working

New Here ,
Jun 07, 2018 Jun 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the Esc Key to deselect in Illustrator but it suddenly stopped working. Help!

heres what I did so far:

-checked if it worked everywhere else, yup

-restarted the program

-updated the app

-checked keyboard shortcuts and "deselect" is set as standard Cnrl+shft+A, cannot change it to the esc key though

I'm using a Mac!

Screen Shot 2018-06-07 at 3.59.28 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jun 07, 2018 Jun 07, 2018

Hi kasiak68913773

Escape is not a shortcut for Deselect in Illustrator.

Escape is a shortcut for several things, such as exiting Isolation mode when you double-click and switching to the Selection tool when you have an insertion point with the Type tool. Do those work?

And there are several ways to deselect. Let us know if you want those as well!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Dec 10, 2019 Dec 10, 2019

I found a solution that seems pretty unrelated but worked:

• Go into Illustrator > Preferences > General:
  • Change “Keyboard Increment” to 1, press "OK" (Take note of, or copy, the number you have here so you can put it back in later)
  • Close Illustrator and reopen
  • Change “Keyboard Increment” back to default (0.013889 in) and press "OK"

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Jul 11, 2023 Jul 11, 2023

Had the same problem this morning. ESC stopped exiting the type edit mode. 

Macbook Pro, M1 Max, Ventura 13.4.1, Illustrator version 27.7

Changed keyboard increment. Quit. Relaunched and restored original value.

Escape now works as it always has since I started using Illustrator 20 years ago.

Thanks, adamb47200684…

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 07, 2018 Jun 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi kasiak68913773

Escape is not a shortcut for Deselect in Illustrator.

Escape is a shortcut for several things, such as exiting Isolation mode when you double-click and switching to the Selection tool when you have an insertion point with the Type tool. Do those work?

And there are several ways to deselect. Let us know if you want those as well!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 10, 2019 Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does not answer the question posted. Esc has always allowed me to exit the "Type Tool" and it just stopped working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Illustrator, what System?

Works for me to switch to the Selection tool and exit type.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

24.0.1 — I did find a solution, listed above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a solution that seems pretty unrelated but worked:

• Go into Illustrator > Preferences > General:
  • Change “Keyboard Increment” to 1, press "OK" (Take note of, or copy, the number you have here so you can put it back in later)
  • Close Illustrator and reopen
  • Change “Keyboard Increment” back to default (0.013889 in) and press "OK"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you for posting this solution. I've been working in illustrator for a decade and this has been driving me crazy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome! I know I felt pretty crazy myself. These seemingly small occurrences can really throw a wrench in your workflow. Happy to have provided some relief 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 17, 2021 Jun 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Life saver. I was also going absolutely crazy too, idk how this was figured out but thank god it works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thankyouuu , its worked 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks, it worked!!! crazy though...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2022 Jan 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

worked for me as well! thanks!! Crazy that Adobe is losing control on important details like this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Legend!! i have no idea what jane-e was on about (crazy eyes) haha thanks adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adamb47200684 for President!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 04, 2021 Jul 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did not solve the problem for me, even after several attempts and restarting the computer.  Any other ideas?  It really messes up workflow when keyboard shortcuts aren't working properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 04, 2021 Jul 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the meantime, switched to using V to switch to selection tool.  Maybe better in the long run anyhow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2022 Oct 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dear, I faced the same and I read this and tried what the guys suggest it didn't work so I understood that this is the keyboard issue in the mac it self. I just chose another English type for my mac i switch to the UK English and delete the old one and it worked right after i restart my mac 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2023 Jan 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe this is gross... do better !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 03, 2023 Jan 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe this is gross... do better !

By @SJK_AU

On which Illustrator version and which system using which functionality do you have issues with the Esc key?

Apply has changed a lot on recent system versions concerning the keyboard use and accessibility. You might want to investigate that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 20, 2023 Jan 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @SJK_AU,

We are sorry for the trouble. Would you mind updating to v27.2 and seeing if that helps? If not, would you mind running the app in safe mode to see if the same behavior happens there as well or not? Also, please confirm the version of OS & AI and system details as asked by Monika.

Kindly update the discussion if you still need assistance with it. We'd be happy to help.

Thanks,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Anshul,  For me as a proud Adobe user it intuitively feels right that the esc button should deselect or escape.  AI - 27.1.1 OS - Ventura 13.1 and my social security number is ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated to V27.2 and I can't believe it's not butter.... it didn't work...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for updating the app & checking @SJK_AUWould you mind running the app in safe mode to see if the same behavior happens there as well or not?

Also, Samuel, would you mind confirming which locale (English (UK/ US), US, Korean, Japanese, etc.) of Illustrator is installed on your machine and which system keyboard input sources are used?

Anshul_Saini_0-1674236687876.png

Additionally, please ensure System settings > Accessibility > Keyboard & Pointer Control (mouse keys) are toggled off.

Anshul_Saini_1-1674236757656.png

Anshul_Saini_2-1674236838075.png

Thanks,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines