Evenly Distribute Dissimilar Objects in a Radius

New Here ,
Mar 31, 2021 Mar 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I have a long list of schools and various data points that I need to visualize. The plan is to have each school displayed in a circular, radial graphic (see below). This example is manually designed, so the spacing between each set of data is minutely inconsistent. I can definitely do this manually, but it would take too much time and in case our clients give us more data, I want to make this as automated and editable as possible.

Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 5.27.31 PM.png

Below is an isolated example of the data. Each school is its own grouped object (starting left-to-right from (A) the name box to ---> (B) the last vertical dash on the yellow, dotted spectrum).

Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 5.40.14 PM.png

 The goal is to evenly distribute each of these grouped objects in a radius (like the first picture above). Below is a sample of those grouped objects in a vertical arrangement. The State abbreviations and line separations (far right) are their own separate text boxes and objects. As long as I can learn how to distribute those initial grouped objects, I can take care of those States/locations.

Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 5.29.40 PM.png

 I know that I could evenly distribute a duplicated object with the Distort & Transform effect.
However, I need the grouped objects to be distinct from each other, and it would be too time-consuming to "Expand Appearance" and edit each one individually.

Does anyone know of an automated/streamline way to do this?

Note: I am working in Adobe Illustrator 2021.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

TOPICS
How to, Tools

Views

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct Answer

Most Valuable Participant , Mar 31, 2021 Mar 31, 2021
Invest in the Astute plug-ins and CAD Tools. Your workflow does not make a lot of sense to begin with. Distort & Transform from linear to polar? *yikes* Other than that of course you can always create a ton of scripts that take care of the placement and generate your lines and boxes in a mthematically exact manner, but creating those may be more costly in terms of man hours than just investing in a few plug-ins.   Mylenium

translate

Translate

Translate
Most Valuable Participant ,
Mar 31, 2021 Mar 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Invest in the Astute plug-ins and CAD Tools. Your workflow does not make a lot of sense to begin with. Distort & Transform from linear to polar? *yikes* Other than that of course you can always create a ton of scripts that take care of the placement and generate your lines and boxes in a mthematically exact manner, but creating those may be more costly in terms of man hours than just investing in a few plug-ins.

Mylenium

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines