Highlighted

Expand Appearance not consistently available ...

New Here ,
Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Expand Appearance is not consistently available even though I am using Effects>Distort>Transform to create symmetrically drawn mandalas. Why the inconsistency? Sometimes it's there, and sometimes not, although all the drawings are created in the same manner.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Expand Appearance not consistently available ...

New Here ,
Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Expand Appearance is not consistently available even though I am using Effects>Distort>Transform to create symmetrically drawn mandalas. Why the inconsistency? Sometimes it's there, and sometimes not, although all the drawings are created in the same manner.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 09, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 09, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I moved your post to a better forum, to the Illustrator forum as your other posts are in this forum.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 09, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 17, 2020 0
Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly how do you apply the effects? Can you post that?

If you apply them to layers, then you need to target the layer for expanding.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 09, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried that thank you, but no success. Obviously I am not able to decifer where Expand Appearance works vs. simply Expand. I set up a layer for drawing in symmetry using Effects>Distort & Transform>Transform. The time it saves and the accuracy are well worth it. But if I want to apply Live Paint later, I have to expand the appearance of the symmetry layer, not just expand it. It worked once for me, but has not since that one time. Unfortunately I am still learning the ins and outs of this program. Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 17, 2020 0
Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you target the layer? (click on the target symbol -> circle)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 17, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I did "target" the layer, but Expand Appearance
was still grayed out. Only Expand was available, and that does not do what
I want.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 18, 2020 0
Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please show screenshots that indicate the structure of the file and what you are doing in it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 18, 2020 0
Resources