• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Expand Object ring radius without effecting Object sizes

Engaged ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need help figuring some thing out. I looked around the net, youtube, and this community, but oddly haven't found anything that addresses my specific needs. If I have a ring of objects like the stars here, I want to be able to expand its radius, scaling the gap, but not affecting the size of the objects. Photoshop has a meathod (I think) that allows to you snap object to a path, and adjust the way Im hoping to in Illustrator, but I can't find an equivelant feature. It's probably something simple and obvious, but I can't find it.

Attatched is an image and I link to a video recording.
https://youtu.be/ZWRp38WuYiU

Expand ring radius-01.png

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 5 Correct answers

Community Expert , Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

I would use a blend along a circle spine (by replacing the spine of the blend). The circle needs to be opened (with closed paths blends get funky).

In order to do the scaling, select the blend spine (the circle) with the group selection tool and then scale it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wgs2vmyminydnzi/star-circle.mov?dl=0

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

varxtis,

Or, for whichever (visually determined) dragged increase of the ring in question, you can also go on from what you have as follows:

1) Delete all but the top and bottom stars, then Group those two and Effect>Distort & Transform>Transform and recreate the others as copies by rotation;

2) Deselect and Direct Select the top or bottom star, then ShiftClickDrag to the desired new size;

If you need the (centre of the) ring of stars in the same position as before, either:

3A) Realign wit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

You need to just select the spine path with the group selection tool. Don't select the object as a whole.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

A few steps.

You'll need a single anchor point and your star - both aligned vertically. And the Transform Effekt.

• choose the Pen Tool

Transform_radial_001.png

 

• draw a single anchor point

Transform_radial_002.png

 

• draw the star exactly vertical aligned (or align it afterwards)

Transform_radial_003.png

 

• group the star and the single anchor point

Transform_radial_004.png

 

• apply the effect: Transform

Transform_radial_005.png

 

• set the number and the angle (this step is not needed - only for example) but note the reference point: bottom center

Transform_radial_006.png

 

• you can choose the new number and the new angle

Transform_radial_007.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

And another one with the recently introduced Object > Repeat > Radial.

Just select a single star and apply the repeat.

repeat.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would use a blend along a circle spine (by replacing the spine of the blend). The circle needs to be opened (with closed paths blends get funky).

In order to do the scaling, select the blend spine (the circle) with the group selection tool and then scale it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wgs2vmyminydnzi/star-circle.mov?dl=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monika, your approach is just what I was looking for. I'd be able to control the radius of the object disperssion and shape, all just by scaling up a path. Is there any way to keep the object (stars) the same size and the gaps between them proportionate to the radius increase?

https://youtu.be/IL9IypOilb0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to just select the spine path with the group selection tool. Don't select the object as a whole.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much Monika! This works great. Very sorry fopr the late ressponse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @varxtis 

Did you see the other answers too?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Varxtis,

If you know how much you wish to scale the ring of stars, you can just go on from what you have as follows:

1) Select all and Object>Scale>Uniform by the desired factor (3 or whatever),

2) Object>Transform Each>Scale>Horizontal & Vertical by the reverse factor (1/3 or whatever).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

varxtis,

Or, for whichever (visually determined) dragged increase of the ring in question, you can also go on from what you have as follows:

1) Delete all but the top and bottom stars, then Group those two and Effect>Distort & Transform>Transform and recreate the others as copies by rotation;

2) Deselect and Direct Select the top or bottom star, then ShiftClickDrag to the desired new size;

If you need the (centre of the) ring of stars in the same position as before, either:

3A) Realign with the object in question (can be done in different ways),

Or independent of everything else, if anything:

3B) Select (black arrow) and Object>Transform>Move by half the current value with the opposite sign (add or remove - in front and add /2 behind the current value).

Similarly for any ring with an even number of objects, where you can just start out with two opposite objects as 1).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would do the same as @Jacob Bugge - using the transform effect.

But for more flexibility: only one star and a simple anchorpoint (both aligned vertically and grouped).

Then use Effect - Distort & Transform --> Transform

Changing the distance from the star to the anchor point (within the group) does what you want. Changes to the star change all instances of the star. Changing the angle of rotation and the number of copies in the effect will change the spacing between instances and / or the number.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, Hans-Jürgen, that is the way to cover any number.

And it can be kept in position by placing the Anchor Point at the intended immovable centre and having the relevant Reference Point chosen (such as bottom centre).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few steps.

You'll need a single anchor point and your star - both aligned vertically. And the Transform Effekt.

• choose the Pen Tool

Transform_radial_001.png

 

• draw a single anchor point

Transform_radial_002.png

 

• draw the star exactly vertical aligned (or align it afterwards)

Transform_radial_003.png

 

• group the star and the single anchor point

Transform_radial_004.png

 

• apply the effect: Transform

Transform_radial_005.png

 

• set the number and the angle (this step is not needed - only for example) but note the reference point: bottom center

Transform_radial_006.png

 

• you can choose the new number and the new angle

Transform_radial_007.png

• select the star with the Group-Selection-Tool

Transform_radial_008.png

 

• drag the star (exactly vertical) to the new position

Transform_radial_009.png

 

• new result (immediately visible) - just change/edit your first star in geometry, color or position

Transform_radial_010.png

 

This is just an editable effect. If you need real paths you have to Expand Appearance (Object menu) however, you lose flexibility (or you just expand a copy of your group and hide the original).

If that works for you

have fun

😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really like this approach! A lot of editabl flexibility and control. and that guide was layed out remarkably well. Thank you. I swear, you three are great! You guys have literally switched my entire work flow over to Illustrator when once I used to cringe in fear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A most exquisite way and tutorial, Hans Jürgen.

I have Bookmarked it for future reference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And another one with the recently introduced Object > Repeat > Radial.

Just select a single star and apply the repeat.

repeat.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This approach definetly seems to have its merit, but like my initial issue, the Stars grow or shrink based on the radius of the ring. And despite trying different ways of changing the stars size, it produces undesired results. Any suggestions?

The thing I love about all these options is experimenting with them to see how they can be applied to other things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see the objects grow or shrink with the radial repeat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@varxtis 

Don't drag the corners of the bounding box! Then everything is scaled and the stars bigger.

Instead, move the top star (with the dot) directly.

or

Use in the Repeat Options (see screenshot from @Ton Frederiks ) the right dropdown to set the new radius.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, dragging the corner will make a mess. There is no scale or rotate option unfortunately for repeat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh wow, This is pretty power meathod too! Illustrator is amazing. Thank you!

Is there a way scale the object/shape once repeat is applied?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

During Repeat you can double click the Repeat object to enter Isolation Mode.

With the origina[ object selected you can scale it. Escape to exit Isolation mode.

When the Repeat object is expanded, ungroup it as many times as needed and use Object > Transform > Transform Each.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Youre awesome! Definetly diggin' this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, Ton.

I keep forgetting about it, until now as many times as you have posted about it. I shall have to pull my socks up; I even have the Helpx Repeat page as a snippet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just for completeness: a mini tutorial about the repeat function (which I created for a similar topic).

pixxxelschubser_0-1616181643163.png

Let us use the new Repeat function.

create your (one) "arrow" and go to menu: Object --> Repeat --> Radial

Repeat_01.png

go to menu: Object --> Repeat --> Options

Repeat_02.png

 

set the desired values

Repeat_03.png

 

done.

Repeat_04.png

 

By @pixxxelschubser

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines