Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export autocad to illustrator

Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!
I have a question regarding the line weights whhen exporting.
So in Autocad we can assign line weights to lines, for example 0.09 for furniture. When opening this drawing in illustrator, this line weight says 0.25 and not 0.09.. Do you perhaps know what the reason for this is? 

TOPICS
Bug , Draw and design , Import and export , Performance , Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Do the lines appear thicker in Illustrator, compared to how they look in Autocad? If so, can you show two screen shots? With a line selected in Illustrator, go to Window> Stroke, what is the stroke weight indicated on the stroke panel? You can change the stroke units in the Illustrator preferences.

Line units.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can set the measurement units in the Illustrator preferences, or right-clicking on the ruler. Also, Acrobat has a preference to thicken very thin lines when displaying on-screen, which is a bit off-topic, but still good to know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes indeed it makes the lines thicker!

How can I adjust that what you are mentioning? I found under preferences 'units', but there it is already in milimeters?

Emine98A7_0-1607439867069.png

I tried the other units to look if the line weights will change, but no. Or do I need to shut down illustrator first and reopen the specific pdf?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Line thickness is identified by stroke width, I believe your lines are .25 pt in illustrator and .09 mm in Autocad. Do the lines actually appear thicker or are the measurement units different? Did you re-size the objects in Illustrator? If so, there is a preference to "Scale Strokes & Effects" (under General Preferences) this would change the line width when objects are re-sized. The "thicken thin lines" I mentioned earlier is an Acrobat and Reader preference and is not available in Illustrator.

Line thickness.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I didnt resize it, just opened with illustrator. Measurement units? You mean setting of the drawings? Both are in mm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Do the lines appear thicker in Illustrator, compared to how they look in Autocad? If so, can you show two screen shots? With a line selected in Illustrator, go to Window> Stroke, what is the stroke weight indicated on the stroke panel? You can change the stroke units in the Illustrator preferences.

Line units.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines