• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export illustrator 3D object as DXF or DWG

New Here ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to model a 3D sphere with text wrapped around it that can be exported as .dxf or .dwg which can then be opened in a other CAD software, edited and converted to an appropriate format for 3D printing. When I export the file to .dxf and open in a CAD program (so far I've tried onshape and Fusion 360), I only have the half circle shape that I originally revolved to create my sphere.  Is there a way to export the finished sprere with my artwork or have I misunderstood how 3d objects work in illustrator?  Am I missing a step?  If I bring this file into Photoshop will I then be able to see the whole 3D object?  If what I'm trying won't work, could you please suggest another workflow.  (I've seen something similar done with Rhino but was hoping to use software that I already know and love.)   

Thanks for your help and advice!  

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3D in Illustrator is an effect that will produce a 2D result that looks like 3D, but isn't real 3D.

You probably have better luck to use Photoshop to create something similar for 3D printing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2020 Dec 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ton, thanks for that clarification.  I thought that might be the case but was hoping otherwise.  

This leads to another question - Are you saying that I could import my 3D illustrator object into Photoshop for editing or that I would need to create a new 3D object in PS.  I'll look for tutorials today but would enjoy reading your thoughts since I don't have much PS experience.  I've seen that you can 3D print from Photoshop but that is the extent of what I know about it.  My typical workflow is to model and print designs using CAD and the 3D printer's software.     

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop creates actual 3D objects; Illustrator doesn't. I don't think from what you're saying that there is really a place for Illustrator in your workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No, you cannot import an Illustrator 3D object in Photoshop, you can use elements from Illustrator in Photoshop to create or enhance 3D objects in Photoshop.

If you are already using 3D software, Illustrator will not add a lot of value.

Here is some more inf on 3D in Photoshop:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/user-guide.html?topic=/photoshop/morehelp/3d.ug.js

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines