• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export svg without transforms for the purpose of animating

Explorer ,
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When will illustrator support using x, y, width, height instead of transform - for translating and scaling?

I can't pull this into an html document and animate it because the inline transforms override the css transform.

I have to manually convert all of the transforms to x,y, height, width.

Nadia5C1D_0-1600873226962.png

I've tried other people's suggested solutions of changing the x,y of the artboard, resetting the bounds, etc and it doesn't help.

Thank you.

TOPICS
Import and export , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

If you want to talk to the developers and suggest a feature, please do so over there:

http://illustrator.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to talk to the developers and suggest a feature, please do so over there:

http://illustrator.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 17, 2020 Oct 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd be interested to know how exactly you are running the SVG export, I've noticed in some of my scripts it does this but in others it doesn't.

I'm trying to track down the exact difference but haven't yet nailed it, I can take the same file and get two different results, both using the `exportForScreens()` method.

My workaround at the moment is to always export by artboard, not by asset or document, and to always resize the artboard immediately prior to export.
So far when I do that it seems to reliably remove the transform(), but I'm stumped as to why it sometimes adds it in the first place!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 18, 2020 Oct 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried to export every which way you can and even Save as, but nothing works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So are you exporting from the menus or from a script?

In script I'm using the `exportForScreens()` method which does let me work around this issue with by doing some other hacks first, but I don't think it will work for symbols unless you script to break the symbols out into unique document path items first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2020 Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm exporting from native functionality in Illustrator. How do you export from a script?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's quite a large topic and if you've not done any AI scripting before it's probably not worth diving into as it's not a 100% solution for this problem anyway.

BUT something definitely worth trying as part of your web asset process is to take the SVGs from illustrator and clean them before using them in your web site. 

there is an excellent tool called SVGO that cleans up SVGs and can flatten many transforms. You can test it here  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've tried svgo, it doesn't convert transforms. As far as scripting, I will prob have to just resort to using a JS function to plug my svg into. Maybe part of the build step is too fancy, I'd be happy with one that converts a matrix to x,y,w,h.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like you may be using symbols due to the presence of the <use> elements. This is a great idea in some cases, but if editing the transforms is not desirable for you and using symbols isn't that important to you in the browser, try to break the links of your symbols to see if the use elements turn into paths or something and don't have the transforms applied.

Symbols are useful in some ways, but in terms of workflow - for Illustrator it's really helpful to change one thing and have a lot of associated art change, but in the browser if you can write a code to change a symbol you can just as easily write a piece of code to edit multitudes of things which are not necessarily even associated in an instant. So if this is really the case and your needs to not have transforms are indeed solved thus I'd be interested to see how it goes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a good pointer, but I can confirm I'm also seeing this issue on very, very simple files that don't use symbols at all.

I note a lot of reports in the XD threads seeing a similar issue and I wouldn't be surprised if there was some reuse of export code there!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

symbols are used in svg documents for optimization purposes, we always want to keep from duplicating code in all aspects of web development.

It doesn't matter if you use <use or shape elements, Illustrator will still put transforms on them. I read somewhere they do this because it's the most efficient way to move graphics internal to the program but it just sucks for the output.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Oct 19, 2020 Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to treat things inside of groups as some sort of mini-symbol regarding the transforms. What if you put a clear rectangle around your art there and use the numbers in it? It's a DIY bounding box:

Silly-V_0-1603101145318.png

Silly-V_0-1603101214737.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines