Export to jpeg in Illustrator for Facebook header - image blurry

Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried several different ways to export this jpeg from Illustrator. I have "exported as jpeg" and "Export save for web" The image looks beautiful. It isn't a huge file size, 1920x1080, 72 ppi, 363KB. After it has been uploaded to FB and saved, it looks blurry. But if you click on the image to view it, it is clean and crisp! help! 

Image below:

Virkpodden_Facebook_header_1920x1080_PS.jpg

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct Answer

Adobe Community Professional , Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021
Have you tried creating the file at 820x315? If you make it the right size to begin with, Facebook doesn't have to do any resizing. It will still apply some compression, but if it starts at the right size, you will have minimized the problem.

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the blurry image being seen at the same size as the file was created? Raster images such as jpegs are entirely dependent on resolution. This means that a 72 ppi image will begin to pixelate very quickly as the viewing size is increased. If this was originally a vector Illustrator file then it should be converted to a jpeg at a physical size larger than it will eventually be used. This way even if you use 72 ppi as your resolution it will still maintain viewing integrity if it is reduced in size to fit its use.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply! Facebook recommends 820x315 at 72ppi for header images. This image is 1920x1080, 72ppi.

I have looked at other screens and it seems okay on them. This is the website: https://www.facebook.com/virkpodden 

When I view this header image on my monitor (it is a separate Apple monitor that my Macbook Pro is connected to), it looks a bit blurry but if I click on the the actual image, it looks crisp and clean. Any thoughts?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Facebook applies custom compression to uploaded files and there's no way to prevent it. If the image is OK directly after saving, then that's all Illustrator can do.

You have to design it in a way that it works with Facebook's way of doing things.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, that is what I suspected. Ugh. Do you think bringing the image into Photoshop and exporting there would make a difference? As Bill said above, it is a vector illustrator file originally.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the file looks good after exporting from Illustrator, then Facebook is the problem and there is not a lot you can do in Photoshop either.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! More great news! 😛 haha Well, I guess it isn't that bad so we will have to live with it. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Have you tried creating the file at 820x315? If you make it the right size to begin with, Facebook doesn't have to do any resizing. It will still apply some compression, but if it starts at the right size, you will have minimized the problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines