• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting 300ppi document to 300ppi png file issue

New Here ,
Jun 21, 2020 Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a document with 300ppi resolution. When exporting in .png as 300ppi, it changed to a larger size. Why is that? Can anybody explain?

For example: My document setup is 480px x 200px and the exported file size is 1576px x 417px. If I exported it in 72ppi, the size stay the same.

NOTE: I'm currently using Adobe Illustrator 24.1.1 (64 bits)

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jun 21, 2020 Jun 21, 2020

Hi.

when you export the file to a .png it will ask you what resolution you want anything above 72 it will increase the px x px. You cannot set the ppi in illustrator as you may think. What you are maybe confusing is the raster effects setting which is not the output ppi. You may also want to consider using the "save for web" function (ctr + alt + shift S) on mac.

/G

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

Also Illustrator does not work or design in pixels at all. It seems to but it only works in actual measurements (inches or mm). If you choose pixels as a unit it assumes you want points. This is why the size matches 72 ppi, because a point is always 1/72 inch. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 21, 2020 Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

when you export the file to a .png it will ask you what resolution you want anything above 72 it will increase the px x px. You cannot set the ppi in illustrator as you may think. What you are maybe confusing is the raster effects setting which is not the output ppi. You may also want to consider using the "save for web" function (ctr + alt + shift S) on mac.

/G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Also Illustrator does not work or design in pixels at all. It seems to but it only works in actual measurements (inches or mm). If you choose pixels as a unit it assumes you want points. This is why the size matches 72 ppi, because a point is always 1/72 inch. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines