• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting CMYK 0,0,0,100 or 0,0,0,98 are muted bad

Explorer ,
Jul 02, 2020 Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm stuck here. Illustrator will not export CMYK 0,0,0,100 or 0,0,0,98 as dark blacks. 75, 68, 67,90 looks like full black and darker than 0,0,0,100. 

I started the document in CMYK for color mode. Using the correct color settings. Nothing seems to work. Everything looks good in program but an export for pdf, jpg, eps are all far off from true printable black. 

I've used full black in CMYK in illustrator before and know the limitations of printing CMYK but you can definetly do black still right? lol 

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 02, 2020 Jul 02, 2020

I suppose that you have set in your Preferences that all blacks should be displayed as Rich Black.

That explains why all blacks look very dark in Illustrator.

When you export to a CMYK file (jpeg, pdf, eps), the correct values are exported and black ink only will look lighter (because black ink is not as black as an RGB black).

Exporting as an RGB file will make your blacks look darker.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

100 K just is not pitch dark black when printed.

If you want to print pitch dark black, you will need to talk to the printing service. They have different measures to deal with this. Some use special inks. Some ask you to add Cyan, Magenta or even both.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never had issues with this in the past. It's suddenly way worse. Likee 100 K black looks like it's a 75 K black. I understand printing and have been doing this for awhile so I'm not sure if I'm having a program error or did adobe change something or is there a glitch happening?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suppose that you have set in your Preferences that all blacks should be displayed as Rich Black.

That explains why all blacks look very dark in Illustrator.

When you export to a CMYK file (jpeg, pdf, eps), the correct values are exported and black ink only will look lighter (because black ink is not as black as an RGB black).

Exporting as an RGB file will make your blacks look darker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so my setting were set as display as Rich black. I understand inks and printing and RGB color will always be more vibrant. 

But it's like all of a sudden my 100k blacks are super muted like never before. I can do 75,68,67,90 and it's basically full black and prints great. This color change just suddenly happens to be totally different. 

I also noticed Adobe Acrobat displaying the colors odd and I had to reinstall but they are still not how it was say a month ago. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"odd" is not something we can help with. Can you please specify?

Also: when something color related works now differently: check color management

Where will this finally be printed?

And yes, of course 75,68,67,90 is super dark. But it won't help you to make friends in your print shop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Odd = Muted like described. Obviously I'm struggling describing. The blacks look way more muted than I've seen my entire career and idk how else to describe that. Maybe I've just gone crazy for a moment. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open the resulting PDF and check the color values in Acrobat print preview.

If it's still 100% then there's nothing wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Acrobat had to be uninstalled and reinstalled. Color was muted more and not viewing correctly. In preview things look great. Acrobat was making colors look different. My fix is acrobat + viewing colors as Rich Black in program vs the true appearence. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preview is not a reliable PDF viewer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clearly Acrobat isn't either considering the glitch and me having to uninstall and reinstall and have two seperate color looks on the same docuement. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You have to learn color management and set up the settings you need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines