Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting Tiffs from Illustrator

Aug 26, 2009 Aug 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know how to export Tiffs from Illustrator, but do you know how to make them have transparent backgrounds? I thought that I was able to do this in photoshop, but it doesn't seem to be letting me any more... maybe I'm going crazy

I'm using CS3 on a Mac

The reason for this question, is that I'm looking for a standard print quality file type other than EPS that I can give a logo file to a client that has a transparent background. If you have any other file type suggestions please let me know.

Thanks,

Nancy

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why would you not provide an EPS for a logo?

Tiffs from Ai are always flat and never transparent. Photoshop can save layered TIFFs, that's how they can be transparent there. Not possible in AI though. You could copy > paste into Photoshop and save as TIFF.

PDF is also a very good format to provide.

I always provide, ai, eps, pdf, psd, tiff, gif, jpg, and png for logo projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks... I'll try again

Please see my comments with more detail below.

ScottWeichert wrote:

Why would you not provide an EPS for a logo?

I do, but I'm also providing other files types.

Tiffs from Ai are always flat and never transparent.

Ok that's what I thought.

Photoshop can save layered TIFFs, that's how they can be transparent there. Not possible in AI though. You could copy > paste into Photoshop and save as TIFF.

This is what I have done in the past (So I'm not going crazy!), but it didn't work today... there must be a setting that got checked off. I even re-booted, but that didn't solve it either. The PSD file imports with a transparent background, and the TIFF has a transparent background when opened in Photoshop (even when I close it out and re-open it), and as far as I know I'm saving the TIFF with correct layers, but when I go to test it and import the file, it has a white box. I'll try again with fresh eyes later, but if you can think of a setting that might cause this I'm all ears!

Also... I tried testing my theory by placing a past logo file that I saved as a tiff... and swear that this one had worked with a transparent background before... and that too, imported in both Illustrator and InDesign with a white box. Could it be a setting in Illustrator or InDesigner rather then Photoshop? since when I re-open the TIFF in Photoshop it has a transparent background.

Now you can see why I feel like I'm going crazy

PDF is also a very good format to provide.

I agree!

I always provide, ai, eps, pdf, psd, tiff, gif, jpg, and png for logo projects.

Yes, I do most of these as well.. but I like to provide the Tiff with a transparent background.

Thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines