Highlighted

Exporting vector files as one file

Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! Very new to Illustrator, so I'm hoping all you knowledgeable folks can help.

My end goal is to create a custom "crayon" art brush for Adobe Animate, so I need to find an image of a crayon stroke and then export it as one vector file. The frustration has been intense.

I downloaded a "crayon" vector file from the internet, which includes a bunch of different crayon strokes of various sizes and styles, all made up of little shapes (paths?). When I select one of the strokes, it highlights all these different shapes and I export them as svg and eps vector files with no problem. I then drop the vector file into Adobe Animate.

This is where the frustration comes in. The vector file imports in as a grouped object, made up of all those little shapes as "paths". Neither the object nor any of the shapes grouped inside are able to be converted into a custom art brush.

I've tried "joining" the paths of those little shapes that make up the crayon stroke inside Illustrator, but it comes up with a warning window that tells me they're "invalid objects". I've tried merging the objects, but the same problem presents itself as before when I try and import into Animate. I've tried everything my limited knowledge of Illustrator allows to no avail.

Can anyone help me understand how to export a vector file so when I import it it's just one simple vector object?????

Thank you in advance

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Monika Gause | Adobe Community Professional

It looks like making them into a compound path might help.

Select them and Object > Compound path > Make

TOPICS
Draw and design, How to, Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Exporting vector files as one file

Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! Very new to Illustrator, so I'm hoping all you knowledgeable folks can help.

My end goal is to create a custom "crayon" art brush for Adobe Animate, so I need to find an image of a crayon stroke and then export it as one vector file. The frustration has been intense.

I downloaded a "crayon" vector file from the internet, which includes a bunch of different crayon strokes of various sizes and styles, all made up of little shapes (paths?). When I select one of the strokes, it highlights all these different shapes and I export them as svg and eps vector files with no problem. I then drop the vector file into Adobe Animate.

This is where the frustration comes in. The vector file imports in as a grouped object, made up of all those little shapes as "paths". Neither the object nor any of the shapes grouped inside are able to be converted into a custom art brush.

I've tried "joining" the paths of those little shapes that make up the crayon stroke inside Illustrator, but it comes up with a warning window that tells me they're "invalid objects". I've tried merging the objects, but the same problem presents itself as before when I try and import into Animate. I've tried everything my limited knowledge of Illustrator allows to no avail.

Can anyone help me understand how to export a vector file so when I import it it's just one simple vector object?????

Thank you in advance

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Monika Gause | Adobe Community Professional

TOPICS
Draw and design, How to, Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 25, 2020 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 26, 2020 2
Resources