• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Extending Shapes - What is the Easiest Method?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Folks,

I would really love to find a method of extending shapes in hopefully an easy way. I'm a novice in Illustrator but know the basics - and was wondering if anyone knew how to resize 'sections' of a shape - without using the knife tool and manually repositioning anchor points. I've attached an example of the kind of shapes I want to resize - on the left is the original shape path (bear in mind its shape not lines) - and I want to extend the middle lines to achieve the right hand shape - hopefully in an easy way. Would anyone have any ideas?

Really appreciate any insight in this - its been doing my head in lol - and can't find much info online.

Peace, Kevin

Screenshot 2021-02-25 at 14.18.55.png

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Convert your shape to a symbol and enable 9-slice scaling. To make a symbol, select your shape, and in the Symbols panel (Window > Symbols), go to the panel menu in the upper right, and select New Symbol... Below the Registration, select Enable Guides for 9-Slice Scaling.

Here's more info: https://helpx.adobe.com/sea/illustrator/using/symbols.html#use_9_slice_scaling

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Convert your shape to a symbol and enable 9-slice scaling. To make a symbol, select your shape, and in the Symbols panel (Window > Symbols), go to the panel menu in the upper right, and select New Symbol... Below the Registration, select Enable Guides for 9-Slice Scaling.

Here's more info: https://helpx.adobe.com/sea/illustrator/using/symbols.html#use_9_slice_scaling

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Wooaw!! Myra! Thank you so much - that perfectly worked! I would have never of found that - thats definitely a hidden trick lol. Thanks so much Myra! Unreal!

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines