• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Extra white space when I export images in Illustrator cs6

New Here ,
May 16, 2012 May 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I get rid of the white border around my images when I export? I have tried making a clipping mask but for some reason when I export to a picture format I get this weird white uneven border around the images that wasn't there before I exported it.

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jul 21, 2016 Jul 21, 2016

When exporting images from illustrator, you must always select "Use Artboards" when the export dialogue pops up.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Enthusiast ,
May 16, 2012 May 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yepp.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 21, 2016 Jul 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When exporting images from illustrator, you must always select "Use Artboards" when the export dialogue pops up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2016 Oct 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You saved my life

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 14, 2017 Aug 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

saved my life too

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2017 Aug 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2017 Nov 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much. I love you!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2018 Jan 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cheers a life saver. But a further question... what does Illustrator think its exporting before i click that option - there's no content in the white space. hmmm puzzled

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 01, 2020 Jan 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're a lifesaver in 2020! Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2021 Jul 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my goddess, thank you!!! That was driving me mad!  I know you responded to that question 5years ago, almost to the day... but thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2021 Sep 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see "use art boards" when the dialog pops up? I have AI version 2020.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2021 Sep 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, got it!

I did as follows:

>Properties

>Grain (Effect on a spot coloured background Rectangle)

I deleted the grain effect and the white border is no longer there when I export.

I would still like to have the grain effect though, any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2022 Aug 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love you lol. It took seconds! Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2023 Oct 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THANK YOU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this, but the uneven box is still there. Any other possible solutions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the solution in this thread doesn't help you, then please:

1. Create a new thread.

2. Post your version and system and screenshots and an exact description of what's happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2021 Jul 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!!  Never would have seen that box if not for your picture!!!  I know you posted that 9 years ago, but it helped me today! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2016 Dec 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah.. You are such a life saver.

Thanks Alot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 07, 2017 Feb 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe should explain that in its "Export" help page; I am fortunate to have found this thread after wasting much time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 15, 2017 Oct 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

matth86069857  schrieb

white boarder is still there!

Is the artboard aligned to the pixel grid?

You might want to fix your attitude and your spelling. You're not talking to Adobe here, but to people who try to help you in their spare time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2020 Dec 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2017 Nov 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG! THANK YOU SO MUCH! I've been spending sooo much time trying to figure out what the heck is going on. You're AMAZING!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2018 Jan 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using AI CS6 on MacOS Sierra and I'm not seeing a box to check "Use Artboards". Ugh! What am I doing wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2018 Jan 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nevermind. I figured it out. I had to reduce the export box to see the "Use Artboards" option. Thanks for the original solution!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 14, 2018 Jan 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Justin@Philamedia (or anyone):

So I get the need for artboards ... an advanced question on the same issue ...

When you have a random object off of the artboards ... you can generally "export selection" ... which works great.

EXCEPT when the image uses a clipping mask. Then the exported image takes on random space in a seemingly arbitrary way and it is super annoying.

You can see this example. It is not grouped with anything outside the image... and even the full borders of the clipped images are only a little bit outside of the viewable final image. Where as the exported images is like 5x the area of the viewable image. Thoughts???

(If you highlight or drag and drop the below image to your desktop you can see all the white space added. This was the same using the export tool and export selection command.)

THANKS!

Asset 31.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines