Extra white space when I export images in Illustrator cs6

New Here ,
May 16, 2012 May 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I get rid of the white border around my images when I export? I have tried making a clipping mask but for some reason when I export to a picture format I get this weird white uneven border around the images that wasn't there before I exported it.

TOPICS
How to, Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct Answer

Explorer , Jul 21, 2016 Jul 21, 2016
When exporting images from illustrator, you must always select "Use Artboards" when the export dialogue pops up.

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,
May 16, 2012 May 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yepp.PNG

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 21, 2016 Jul 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When exporting images from illustrator, you must always select "Use Artboards" when the export dialogue pops up.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2016 Oct 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You saved my life

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2017 Aug 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

saved my life too

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2017 Aug 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2017 Nov 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much. I love you!!!!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2018 Jan 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cheers a life saver. But a further question... what does Illustrator think its exporting before i click that option - there's no content in the white space. hmmm puzzled

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 01, 2020 Jan 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're a lifesaver in 2020! Cheers!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this, but the uneven box is still there. Any other possible solutions?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If the solution in this thread doesn't help you, then please:

1. Create a new thread.

2. Post your version and system and screenshots and an exact description of what's happening.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2016 Dec 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah.. You are such a life saver.

Thanks Alot

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 07, 2017 Feb 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe should explain that in its "Export" help page; I am fortunate to have found this thread after wasting much time

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 15, 2017 Oct 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

matth86069857  schrieb

white boarder is still there!

Is the artboard aligned to the pixel grid?

You might want to fix your attitude and your spelling. You're not talking to Adobe here, but to people who try to help you in their spare time.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2020 Dec 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2017 Nov 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG! THANK YOU SO MUCH! I've been spending sooo much time trying to figure out what the heck is going on. You're AMAZING!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2018 Jan 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using AI CS6 on MacOS Sierra and I'm not seeing a box to check "Use Artboards". Ugh! What am I doing wrong?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2018 Jan 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nevermind. I figured it out. I had to reduce the export box to see the "Use Artboards" option. Thanks for the original solution!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 14, 2018 Jan 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Justin@Philamedia (or anyone):

So I get the need for artboards ... an advanced question on the same issue ...

When you have a random object off of the artboards ... you can generally "export selection" ... which works great.

EXCEPT when the image uses a clipping mask. Then the exported image takes on random space in a seemingly arbitrary way and it is super annoying.

You can see this example. It is not grouped with anything outside the image... and even the full borders of the clipped images are only a little bit outside of the viewable final image. Where as the exported images is like 5x the area of the viewable image. Thoughts???

(If you highlight or drag and drop the below image to your desktop you can see all the white space added. This was the same using the export tool and export selection command.)

THANKS!

Asset 31.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 14, 2018 Jan 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get the feeling that a lot of ACP's etc still have a copy of Illustrator CS6 installed alongside the newest version to be able to so reliantly and positively answer so correctly. Either that, or all of you have excellent memories. My guess anyway.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 15, 2018 Jan 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never use the "export selection" option in Illustrator for that reason.

When exporting, illustrator seems to export the entire area containing all content within the file, so that means unseen paths, points, text etc. Even if the object is made invisible in the layers panel. Thus, That extra space you are seeing probably indicates there is some sort of object hidden in that white space.   Try pressing Command+Y [Cntrl+Y] to view outlines. This will show you all the objects in your file. Additionally, the Object > Path > Clean Up tool works wonders for those who don't pay attention to the population and organization of their Layers Panel.

When exporting objects in clipping masks, it will factor in the objects hidden behind the clipping mask.

Therefore, I've found it BEST practice to use my artboards as my frame for the export, so I know EXACTLY what will be exported.

So for your instance, you can select the artwork, navigate to Object > Artboards > Fit to Selected Art

Hope this was helpful.  Feel free to reach out with additional questions.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mariamineosuppliersimkad   & hooplife, see if that helps

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @Justin. I understand what you're saying and there are times I forget to clean up those stray, unseen elements. I was trying to "Use Artboards" and couldn't find the option. My problem was merely that I was exporting with the window wide open instead of in the more compact version in which the option to "Use Artboards" is there. I never even realized it's not there when the export window is fully open. But cleaning up those tidbits is something that's easily forgotten.Justin@Philamedia

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2018 Sep 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

your suggestion of using Ctrl Y was enlightening !!!  so many mystery lines and boxes that I didn't know were there.  thank you so much, it solved my export selection issues.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2018 Oct 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, Justin! This was exactly my issue!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines