Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Extracting scanned image precisely

New Here ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good afternoon

Hopefully I'm missing a very obvious trick here so there's an easy solution to my problem.

I have 600dpi scanned PDF documents of templates for a project. Note, the templates were created by drawing around the original item onto very large paper (2440x1220mm) then scanned using an industrial large format scanner. 

As the scanner could only scan 800mm wide, we had to slice the paper down the middle and scan the templates in two halves. 

I now need to join the two halves perfectly and export it as one entity as either Ai or another PDF. Is there a way of extracting these from the PDF, without using Image Trace, as it needs to be precise, therefore I'm reluctant to use the Image Trace feature? 

Thank you in advance.

R

TOPICS
Draw and design , Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since they were scanned, they are images.

Photoshop would be the best to stitch them together.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only have access to Ai unfortunately. 

Rhys

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean by 'extracting' here?

You can just place the images side by side on an artboard the size you require and export a single PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, perhaps I used the incorrect terminology. 

The "images" are of course just line drawings, as I drew around the actual wooden templates onto paper. 

The trouble I'm having is that I cannot extract the line from the PDF, it has white in the background (the paper that was scanned). 

Is there a way of removing this line that I've drawn, and have it as it's own vector line? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a scanned line, it is just pixels. There is no vector to extract.

You can use image trace, which will attempt to make a vector copy of the image, but it probably isn't suitably accurate as you say.

Or you can redraw it with the tools in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your help, I'll draw around the shape in Ai.

I was hoping for there to be a quicker solution, but no such luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines