Highlighted

Eye dropper not applying selected fill to grouped objects

Explorer ,
May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using eyedropper tool to select a fill color from another vector object on the page, if I have grouped objects or text selected, it will not apply the selected fill. It will apply the stroke (if there is any) and it will show in the color panel that I have applied the color, but it does not change the fill. Now if I ungroup the objects, then use the eyedropper, it will apply the fill.
  With text, if I outline the text, ungroup the letters, use THEN use the eyedropper, it will apply the fill.
Objects will show the correct fill when using sliders and swatches UNLESS I use the eyedropper on them. Once I use the eyedropper, that text or grouped object's fill color is locked (at least on screen). 
  This just started happeneing with the latest update. 
  Running Illustrator 24.1.2 on Windows 10 Pro.

UPDATE: Latest update:24.1.2 - Text has been fixed but eyedropper still not applying color to selected groups objects. 

Topics

Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Eye dropper not applying selected fill to grouped objects

Explorer ,
May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using eyedropper tool to select a fill color from another vector object on the page, if I have grouped objects or text selected, it will not apply the selected fill. It will apply the stroke (if there is any) and it will show in the color panel that I have applied the color, but it does not change the fill. Now if I ungroup the objects, then use the eyedropper, it will apply the fill.
  With text, if I outline the text, ungroup the letters, use THEN use the eyedropper, it will apply the fill.
Objects will show the correct fill when using sliders and swatches UNLESS I use the eyedropper on them. Once I use the eyedropper, that text or grouped object's fill color is locked (at least on screen). 
  This just started happeneing with the latest update. 
  Running Illustrator 24.1.2 on Windows 10 Pro.

UPDATE: Latest update:24.1.2 - Text has been fixed but eyedropper still not applying color to selected groups objects. 

Topics

Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try if it works when you press the shift key while clicking with the eyedropper tool?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does work, but if I use the eyedropper on something without hold shift first, it makes it so I can't change the color even if I hold shift. I have to undo the original eyedropper to get it back to a point where I can change to color (unless I outline and ungroup). 
Also noticed when I use the eyedropper it creates a very faint, almost unoticible, "stroke" around the text in the color I'm attempting to pick. Not an actual stroke, but just a slight visible color on the edges that looks the same at any magnification. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm curious to see how this "9949" text or object is created.

Could you create a screenshot in Outline mode, or check what the Appearance panel says about it ?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
DRock22 LATEST
Explorer ,
May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to remake it, but it was just two layers of text that had been outlined and merged. Appearances panel visible in lower right in the pictures attached. . Screenshot 1.jpgScreenshot 2.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines