• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Eyedropper not picking up color from images (jpeg)

New Here ,
May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have noticed since I started using CC that the eyedropper does not work when trying to pick up color from a placed jpeg. I know for a fact it used to work in CS6 because I did an entire gradient mesh project using this method. Honestly, I don't know quite how else you would do an accurate gradient mesh without this tool. Is anyone else having this issue? Is it just a setting that needs to be changed? My color space is RGB.

TOPICS
Bug , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

Hold shift when you click on the image with the Eyedropper tool. When you try and sample the Appearance of an image you get its fill and stroke set to none, and not the pixels from the image. Holding shift overrrides the "sample appearance" setting temporarily and allows you to sample the pixels. Double click on eyedropper tool to view/change it's settings.

For more info on what is behind this (it's not a bug) https://www.lauracoylecreative.com/illustrator-tips/eyedropper-tool-not-working-adobe-illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Could you please share which version if CC are using. Or may be if possible you can share you image to help you out. I have tried at my end using jpeg image but it is working fine. So more details from your side will help us.

Thanks

Best regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @ack6464,

double click your Eyedropper Tool (and then if still necessary) show your settings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hold shift when you click on the image with the Eyedropper tool. When you try and sample the Appearance of an image you get its fill and stroke set to none, and not the pixels from the image. Holding shift overrrides the "sample appearance" setting temporarily and allows you to sample the pixels. Double click on eyedropper tool to view/change it's settings.

For more info on what is behind this (it's not a bug) https://www.lauracoylecreative.com/illustrator-tips/eyedropper-tool-not-working-adobe-illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2020 May 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow after years of this issue, your reply worked immediately! Superstar! Thank you for posting that!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 30, 2023 May 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't work on JPGs, TIFs or PSDs in Illustrator 2023 Beta.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying to change color of text by selecting color from the background image.  Color picker will ONLY pick a medium gray.  Double clicking eyedropper tool does nothing, holding shift does nothing, holding alt or delete does nothing.  I have yet to figure this out.  Right now, I have to use the eyedropper to choose the color, remember the HEX, then put the code in the hex code box.  That is the ONLY way it will work.  Very frustrating and time consuming.  Windows 10 64bit, Adobe CC latest update.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eyedropper not picking up color from Effect-Rasterized artwork.

This isn't fixed, guys.
On windows 10, 64bit, Version 25— doesn't pick color from artwork that has a raster effect on it either.
I have a lot of overlapping shapes that I want to make swatches for, but I want swatches of the visually blended color. Illustrator used to work— and pick the pixel color under the eyedropper when shift was held while doing the pick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please show a screenshot of what you want to pick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because it is an effect and not a real image. Expand appearance will let you pick up the comined result from blended colors (you may want to do this on a copy, it will convert vector to pixel).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2023 Jul 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no this is a bug because ive done all these things and i am still just getting white in the color picker no matter if its an image or an actual vector

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 06, 2023 Jul 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Ryan24277701j2d5  schrieb:

no this is a bug because ive done all these things and i am still just getting white in the color picker no matter if its an image or an actual vector

Exactly what are you trying to pick from exactly where? And what is happeing instead? And what have you tried?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines