• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Feature Suggestion: Artboard locking, hiding and artboard editing mode

New Here ,
Mar 14, 2021 Mar 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Artboards in Illustrator are suberbly useful but there are some conceptually simple features that we could make use of:

1. Lock Artboards - this makes the objects on a locked artboard unselectable/editable overriding individual settings.

2. Hide Artboards - removes the artboard and work on it from view. Helps remove distractions from view, especially when you're showing your Art Director the latest work!

3. Local Editing Mode - illustrator already notionally works on one artboard at a time... the one that's zoomed to with Cmd-0, or pasted to with Cmd-V... perhaps there could be a mode switch, simial to the 'Draw Inside' mode where all operations are confined to objects on the current artboard. Useful for Cmd-A for example. This would override unlocked artboards of course! This mode of operation is already familiar in InDesign where only current-spread object appear in the layers.

TOPICS
Feature request , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 14, 2021 Mar 14, 2021

Feature enhancements and bugs can be logged at https://illustrator.uservoice.com/

1. While you can't lock artboards, you can lock layers and objects. You could put all objects that you want to lock/unlock on a separate layer.

2. If you choose View > Hide Artboards, that will remove it from viw.

3. There is a command Select > All on Artboard. Perhaps that would be helpful for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Feature enhancements and bugs can be logged at https://illustrator.uservoice.com/

1. While you can't lock artboards, you can lock layers and objects. You could put all objects that you want to lock/unlock on a separate layer.

2. If you choose View > Hide Artboards, that will remove it from viw.

3. There is a command Select > All on Artboard. Perhaps that would be helpful for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Barbara, thanks for your reply.

So that's where the feature requests go... I spent a while looking for such a place but couldn't find it.

These are quite interesting - I hadn't realised the presence of Select All on Artboard.

The suggestions were inspired by the look of the Artboard panel - it looks just like the Layers list but without the View/Hide and Lock toggles.

When I'm doing quick iterations (like logo designs etc) I use a technique where I keep creating new artboards by Alt-Dragging to duplicate the existing logo for further development. Keeping a trail of logos as they develop is really useful. This duplicates the elements in the exiting layers and I sometimes want to select the objects in my layers by clicking on the coloured select toggle on the layer panel - this is a great way to keep organised. But it doesn't know about artboards, so locking an artboard (with its contents) would be a great way to enhance that workflow.

I've worked previously by moving objects on different artboards to different layers but if I'm already using the layers to separate the elements of a design on each artboard this can take a lot of extra time, especially when working very fast with logo iterations, this can be a significant proportion of the time.

Hiding the artboards currently literally only removes the visual distinction between artboard and pasteboard areas. I'm really looking for a way to hide the work too... like if I wanted to remove logo options from view. The big advantage again is that it fits with the existing workflow - it doesn't require extra preparation to make this happen. In this case it can be about using the hide feature to eliminate ideas (reversably / temporarily) to have the remaining artbords visible for reflection. It's all about working visually and experimentally rather than having a planned outcome in mind here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines