Highlighted

File name and extentension highlighted in save as dialogue Catalina w Ai 2020 causing misnamed files

Explorer ,
Mar 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When saving files, the file name AND extentension highlight when saving in OS X Catalina w CC 2020. This causes no end of problems with misnamed files. Sometimes our layouts are re-saved with a different job extension (not file extension). Usually you can hit the save as, then just delete a character or two & replace them with the new job extension without leaving the keyboard. I have been doing it for so long, since Illustrator was installed from a few floppies, I just cant wrap my head around having to grab the mouse to fix it. This is a huge problem for us. And not just me, here is a link to a photoshop forum where they are most unhappy about it. It seems to be a combined bug between Catalina & CC 2020

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/file-name-and-extension-higlight-when-saving-...

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

File name and extentension highlighted in save as dialogue Catalina w Ai 2020 causing misnamed files

Explorer ,
Mar 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When saving files, the file name AND extentension highlight when saving in OS X Catalina w CC 2020. This causes no end of problems with misnamed files. Sometimes our layouts are re-saved with a different job extension (not file extension). Usually you can hit the save as, then just delete a character or two & replace them with the new job extension without leaving the keyboard. I have been doing it for so long, since Illustrator was installed from a few floppies, I just cant wrap my head around having to grab the mouse to fix it. This is a huge problem for us. And not just me, here is a link to a photoshop forum where they are most unhappy about it. It seems to be a combined bug between Catalina & CC 2020

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/file-name-and-extension-higlight-when-saving-...

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mar 13, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Darth,

We're extremely sorry to hear about the trouble you are facing. Let me help you with that. I would need to a few more details like:

• Exact version of Illustrator and macOS (for example Iluustrator 24.1 and macOS 10.15.1)
  • Is the same thing happening with non Adobe applications like Word, excel, etc?
  • Small video of the issue.
  • When did this start happening? Is it after the recent update. Are there any recent changes made to your system? For example, any antivirus, system updates or web extensions installed recently. 
  • Where the files are saved (Network Drive/ System HDD/ Shared Folder on System /External HDD)?

Regards,

Srishti

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 17, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Mar 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Srishti,

It's Illustrator 24.1 & OS X 10.15.3. I beleive any version of Catalina with 23 & up will replicate the problem. I did not have this trouble with Illustrator 24 on OS X 10.13

You see that when I select "Save As" the entire filename including the extension is auto selected, when I changes the format, it changes the extension, thats fine. So I select "Save As" again & highlight the filename only, which is as it SHOULD be.

I have not noticed this ocurring with any other non Adobe apps.

THX

Barron

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 18, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Apr 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Srishti,

Thanks so much for your help with this very, very, very, very annoying Adobe bug. It was greatly appreciated. Not

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 28, 2020 0
New Here ,
May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE:

This solution worked for about an hour but the problem cropped up again. I apologize. Maybe this will work for someone, I'm going to keep picking at it and see if there's something else to be done.

--

This had been driving me crazy, but I've solved it on my workstation with the following:

For Illustrator, this problem appears to be tied to a setting under Preferences>File Handling & Clipboard called "Optimize File Open and Save Time on Slow Networks". Unchecking this solved the issue for me:

Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 10.17.07 AM.png

If you're using Photoshop it appears to be tied to a setting called "Append File Extension": Photoshop>Preferences>File Handling. Change the setting "Append File Extension" to "Never" instead of "Always."

Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 10.07.50 AM.png

Hope this helps!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 20, 2020 0
Explorer ,
May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks thornew for trying!

I realize this is partly an OS X issue, but I Wish Adobe would try to find a resolution to this too! It makes me crazy. Adobe reached out, & then nothing...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 20, 2020 0