File names using the "Save As" command don't overwrite inside of Illustrator, instead keeping the or

Nov 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll try to be as straight forward as I can on what my issue is, and I can't seem to find a fix for it.

1. Open a .PDF file, example: BANNER_TEMPLATE.pdf

2. Edit file, use the Save As command to save it in a new folder, such as: A11136.pdf in a new folder location

3. File saves, but the filename inside of Illustrator stays as BANNER_TEMPLATE, meaning if I close or Control+S the document, it will attempt to save over my original file again rather than updating to A11136.pdf

4. When going to Export or Save As another document, the new path for A11136.pdf is not defaulted in the window, instead it goes back to the file location of BANNER_TEMPLATE, forcing me to re-navigate through my folders to Export the JPEGS needed into the proper location

5. The only workaround I've found is to close the file after saving and re-open the new one I saved, but if I save it after the fact, it will still retain the original filename when it was opened rather than updating when I save it again

Example:

Say I open BANNER_TEMPLATE inside of folder BANNERS. I open the BANNER_TEMPLATE file and place my banner artwork, now ready for saving and export. I use the Save As command and navigate to a folder called 5X4 inside of the BANNERS folder. I save the file as A11136.pdf inside of 5X4. The filename inside of Illustrator at the top of the document is still BANNER_TEMPLATE. When I go to Export my artwork, the default folder opens back up as BANNERS, rather than 5X4 where I just saved, making me navigate manually to the 5X4 folder to Export, which when I am exporting and saving a lot of files and having a habit of Control + S to save my document frequently, this causes a lot of unnecessary tedium and frustration.

Does anyone know of a fix for this? Windows 10, RX 5700 XT, 32GB DDR4 RAM, Ryzen 7 1800X.

TOPICS
Bug, Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

File names using the "Save As" command don't overwrite inside of Illustrator, instead keeping the or

Nov 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll try to be as straight forward as I can on what my issue is, and I can't seem to find a fix for it.

1. Open a .PDF file, example: BANNER_TEMPLATE.pdf

2. Edit file, use the Save As command to save it in a new folder, such as: A11136.pdf in a new folder location

3. File saves, but the filename inside of Illustrator stays as BANNER_TEMPLATE, meaning if I close or Control+S the document, it will attempt to save over my original file again rather than updating to A11136.pdf

4. When going to Export or Save As another document, the new path for A11136.pdf is not defaulted in the window, instead it goes back to the file location of BANNER_TEMPLATE, forcing me to re-navigate through my folders to Export the JPEGS needed into the proper location

5. The only workaround I've found is to close the file after saving and re-open the new one I saved, but if I save it after the fact, it will still retain the original filename when it was opened rather than updating when I save it again

Example:

Say I open BANNER_TEMPLATE inside of folder BANNERS. I open the BANNER_TEMPLATE file and place my banner artwork, now ready for saving and export. I use the Save As command and navigate to a folder called 5X4 inside of the BANNERS folder. I save the file as A11136.pdf inside of 5X4. The filename inside of Illustrator at the top of the document is still BANNER_TEMPLATE. When I go to Export my artwork, the default folder opens back up as BANNERS, rather than 5X4 where I just saved, making me navigate manually to the 5X4 folder to Export, which when I am exporting and saving a lot of files and having a habit of Control + S to save my document frequently, this causes a lot of unnecessary tedium and frustration.

Does anyone know of a fix for this? Windows 10, RX 5700 XT, 32GB DDR4 RAM, Ryzen 7 1800X.

TOPICS
Bug, Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 30, 2020 0
Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try and disable the "Save in background"option in the preferences?

This is on the harddisk and not on the network?

If this doesn't help, can you please describe this more clearly?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 01, 2020 0
Resources