Highlighted

File-Order in Batch processing

Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello together!

i love the option "batch processing" in illustrator. But when i want to make it with some hundret or thousands files, it mostly happens, that one second illustrator crashes, and Mac OS, too! i dont know, why... but i think it would be too difficult, to find out that problem and its solution, quickly. So i need another solution, to work with my files... 

During batch processing a lot of files (all in one folder) are going to be opened, changed, saved, closed. But i dont know the order. Which files come first, which at least? Illustrator seems to open the files random like...  but why? I want Illustrator to open them in a simple order A first, Z at least! 😄 

Then i could see, which was the last changed file, for example "fox123.svg", before the programm crashed. I would know, that i can move the files A-F in an extra folder, and start the next session of batch processing, with G-Z. How can i set the A-Z - Order here? At the moment, i have to check every single file and that is difficult when i wanna work with 2000 files. 

Topics

How to, Scripting, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

File-Order in Batch processing

Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello together!

i love the option "batch processing" in illustrator. But when i want to make it with some hundret or thousands files, it mostly happens, that one second illustrator crashes, and Mac OS, too! i dont know, why... but i think it would be too difficult, to find out that problem and its solution, quickly. So i need another solution, to work with my files... 

During batch processing a lot of files (all in one folder) are going to be opened, changed, saved, closed. But i dont know the order. Which files come first, which at least? Illustrator seems to open the files random like...  but why? I want Illustrator to open them in a simple order A first, Z at least! 😄 

Then i could see, which was the last changed file, for example "fox123.svg", before the programm crashed. I would know, that i can move the files A-F in an extra folder, and start the next session of batch processing, with G-Z. How can i set the A-Z - Order here? At the moment, i have to check every single file and that is difficult when i wanna work with 2000 files. 

Topics

How to, Scripting, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator can not handle processing thousands of files in one session. At least in the scripting world, it is recommended to process only a few hundreds, restart illustrator, repeat as many times.

Adobe recommends 500 files on Windows and about 800 on mac. I found those numbers not to be 100% accurate. In reality, it all depends on your Computing power and the complexity of your files. It could be 100 files, it could be 1000 files. It's never a fixed number.

I recommend trial an error, process a few hundred, increasing the number of files until you find the sweet spot before Illustrator crashes. Then proactively restart illustrator after process only the number of illustrator can handle.

hope it helps

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour Johanness!

Pour ouvrir le fichiers dans l'ordre, il faut établir la liste des fichiers du dossier (getFiles) puis ordonner cette liste.

Ouvrir et traiter les fichier à partir de cette liste ordonnée.

Pour fox123.svg, on peut même ordonner la liste juste à partir des N° 123, 124, 130 etc...

Si besoin d'aide envoyez un message voir profil.

elleere

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines