• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

File Prep for Large Format Wall Graphics

Contributor ,
Sep 17, 2020 Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm creating a vector art wall graphic at full scale and have questions about file/color space set up. 

I've set the file to CMYK color space because this will be the end production process. The background is PMS 7621 with a black pointiliism image of a guy running. If I convert the PMS 7621 color to CMYK, then the outcome is on me. I feel the printer/service bureau would be best at this conversion, correct?

RE: the black image. Do I make it the Registration (100/100/100/100) color for richness? Do I set this layer to Multiply for richness?

Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Sep 17, 2020 Sep 17, 2020

In order to do the conversion, you will need to know the appropriate color profile for the printing process. Also for printing a rich black you should contact the printer about what they advise. They know their machines best. The registration color most probably is not the right one. And maybe working in RGB mode is even a better solution. So just contact them to talk about this.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant , Sep 17, 2020 Sep 17, 2020

Definitely leave the colors as PMS Spot colors. The printer will know how to convert them for accuracy based on their printers/rip software. As for the black, if you make it 100/100/100/100 and just let the printer know you want to make sure the blacks are rich black, they'll know what to do. I definitely wouldn't set it to multiply unless the printer specificly asked for that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In order to do the conversion, you will need to know the appropriate color profile for the printing process. Also for printing a rich black you should contact the printer about what they advise. They know their machines best. The registration color most probably is not the right one. And maybe working in RGB mode is even a better solution. So just contact them to talk about this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what I was thinking, but a lot of these places just take the file and run with it. I ended up creating a 60/40/40/100 black. And I'll let them convert the PMS color to their equipment. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always contact the printer for things like this, as they all seem to have their own guidelines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Definitely leave the colors as PMS Spot colors. The printer will know how to convert them for accuracy based on their printers/rip software. As for the black, if you make it 100/100/100/100 and just let the printer know you want to make sure the blacks are rich black, they'll know what to do. I definitely wouldn't set it to multiply unless the printer specificly asked for that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines