• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fill of compound path item

Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2020 Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it me or does Illustrator 2020 no longer allow you to get the fill of path item 1 of compound path items? Path Items used to show up inside Compound Path Items

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Valorous Hero , Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

There could be a small chance that you may have one of the buggy groups inside a compound path, so there's actually not a single pathItem - until you de-compound it and un-group it. Some external software may produce such a faulty compound path structure when art from those apps is imported into Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show a screenshot that may explain what you mean?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can access the fillColor of any of the pathItems in a compoundPathItem, e.g.

var paths = app.activeDocument.compoundPathItems[0].pathItems;
var c1 = paths[0].fillColor;
alert( c1.typename + ", C: " + c1.cyan + ", M: " + c1.magenta + ", Y: " + c1.yellow );

But the fillColor has but few properties to access, i.e. typename and the values of the components (CMYK or RGB). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's you, that still works in 2020

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im not sure why but if I have a compound path made of several paths not overlapping, no path items can be seen contained by the compound path item in applescript/javascript. If I take a letter or number like A or 0 and expand into compound path, it shows path items inside of the compound path item.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There could be a small chance that you may have one of the buggy groups inside a compound path, so there's actually not a single pathItem - until you de-compound it and un-group it. Some external software may produce such a faulty compound path structure when art from those apps is imported into Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Silly-V! Its crazy I dont know if I just never noticed this was inconsistent or if its a change. Ive never had issues drilling down into compound path items to find a fill.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Crazy, I relesed and remade and it worked correctly. The paths were generated by a font expanded in illustrator 2020. Seems insane to run on error release compound path then re-make but its better then nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

And now thanks to you, we are more knowledgeable as to why this occurs: in this case we can add the entire realm of fonts to the list of suspects!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines