Highlighted

Filling a shape made of shapes. Or just a different process?

New Here ,
Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, 

I will be most appreciative of a little guidance with this.  I am building a somewhat complicated shape for a logo for printing on business cards, signs, car decals, and so on.  I started by just drawing line strokes with the pencil tool for the overall shape.  I would like it to be one shape that I can fill with a slightly lighter color.  I found that you can't join the strokes at intersections, only end to end.  So I converted all the strokes to "shape outline" and used the anchor points to clean up the intersections and make everything smooth.  I then made all the intersecting shapes a compound shape so I am able to move all intersecting parts as 1 shape.  However, I cannot fill the inside of the shape as it doesn't recognize the inside negative space as being the inside of a shape.  

I could also be going about this the wrong way altogether.  Learning as I go!  I hope someone can enlighten me.  Image attached.  

Also, the floating parts in the middle act as separate shapes.  So I would need the same process but would want the background to show through the negative space as opposed to being filled with a lighter color.  I worry that just bringing them to the front would still show the fill color of the larger overall shape....

Thanks in advance!

Westart

TOPICS
Draw and design, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Filling a shape made of shapes. Or just a different process?

New Here ,
Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, 

I will be most appreciative of a little guidance with this.  I am building a somewhat complicated shape for a logo for printing on business cards, signs, car decals, and so on.  I started by just drawing line strokes with the pencil tool for the overall shape.  I would like it to be one shape that I can fill with a slightly lighter color.  I found that you can't join the strokes at intersections, only end to end.  So I converted all the strokes to "shape outline" and used the anchor points to clean up the intersections and make everything smooth.  I then made all the intersecting shapes a compound shape so I am able to move all intersecting parts as 1 shape.  However, I cannot fill the inside of the shape as it doesn't recognize the inside negative space as being the inside of a shape.  

I could also be going about this the wrong way altogether.  Learning as I go!  I hope someone can enlighten me.  Image attached.  

Also, the floating parts in the middle act as separate shapes.  So I would need the same process but would want the background to show through the negative space as opposed to being filled with a lighter color.  I worry that just bringing them to the front would still show the fill color of the larger overall shape....

Thanks in advance!

Westart

TOPICS
Draw and design, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 05, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure how exactly you want this to look. But it sounds like the live paint tool might help you: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/live-paint-groups.html

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 05, 2020 0