• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Finding Percentage when resizing

Explorer ,
Apr 26, 2012 Apr 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way i can find out what percantage i am resizing an item to...for example if i have an object that is 1.986 and i need to resize it to 1.684 is there a toolbar or something that tells me what that percentage is?

Then i could select all the itmes and resize by that percentage.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can just enter percentage values in the numeric input boxes on the property bar or the transform panel, for example type 50%.

If you scale something interactively with the scale tool, you can double click the scale tool and it will show you the percentage used for the scale. You can also use that scale tool with numeric percentage input.

Also, if you enable the smart guides this will show a label with the percentage values while using the scale tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Emil Emil what do you mean? I've been using illustrator for over a decade and im not following what you were saying?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

scalePercentFormula.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... which is a complicated way of dividing one figure by another.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Natesroom1 wrote:

Emil Emil what do you mean? I've been using illustrator for over a decade and im not following what you were saying?

I'm repeating the same with images attached - hopefully that will help

Emil Emil wrote:

You can just enter percentage values in the numeric input boxes on the property bar or the transform panel, for example type 50%...

Transforms.jpg

Emil Emil wrote:

...If you scale something interactively with the scale tool, you can double click the scale tool and it will show you the percentage used for the scale. You can also use that scale tool with numeric percentage input...

ScaleTool.jpg

In fact when you have already scaled on object with the Scale Tool and you want to apply the same scale to a number of selected objects, just double click the Scale tool in the Tool box and press OK in the Scale dialog.

Emil Emil wrote:

...Also, if you enable the smart guides this will show a label with the percentage values while using the scale tool.

SmartGuides.jpg

When the Smart Guides are on (Ctrl/Cmd + U) when you use the Scale tool it will show on the label next to the cursor the percentage being used for the scale

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2017 Mar 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Emil, this is a great trick! I've been looking for a while to be able to do this, I just never used the scale tool, I always scaled using the regular selection tool. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This thread is rather old, and I have been using the Scale tool in this way for over a decade. However, in recent releases of Illustrator CC, specifically v 25.2.3, this has been changed. The Scale tool no longer lists the last transformation.

Is there a setting that can be adjusted to return to this extremely useful tool?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just bring up the Win or Mac OS calculator. Type in the desired size. Divide it by the current size. Move the decimal point to the right two places and you'll have the percentage needed to increase or decrease to your desired size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always do it with a calculator.

In your case 1.684 divided by 1.986 is 84.7935548...%.

Then use the Scale tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lol... ok ok i was hoping to make a floating toolbar or something that would give me the percentage LIVE as i was doing it... Alot of time i do "to scale" art in the sign business and architechural sitemaps and they only use illustrator here not the other software where those features were part of them.

I dont think you understand if i had to do it once or twice a month i would open Calc.exe and do the calculations, but since i do this 6 to 10 times a day that adds up to alot of lost time.

AND if i remember correctly in AI6 or 7, the Transform toolbar use to let you click inside of the box (or right click and change to percentage in the dialog box and a side effect of that is it would tell you the percentage as you typed the number in inches

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont think you understand if i had to do it once or twice a month i would open Calc.exe and do the calculations, but since i do this 6 to 10 times a day that adds up to alot of lost time.

there's nothing "live" in illustrator that comes close to doing that, I agree, when you have to make lots of those calculations it gets silly. I would have excel open and key the formula there and copy/paste my values from illustrator to excel and get the percentage....I know, it's a lot of work, but some less that doing it in illustrator...

TEASER ALERT!!

my next super special script tackles this particular issue, stay tuned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nate,

Then i could select all the itmes and resize by that percentage.

Just select everything and use Object>Transform (maybe with the extra step of Transform Each), then set Uniform Scale to 168400/1986 (insert the new value multiplied by 100, then the slash, then the original value), then press Enter.

So Illy does it for you. And she is good at it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And she is good at it.

Gag me. Compared to what?

Actually, IT is brain-dead lousey at it.

For example:

Assume you have six objects. Object A measures 2.125. You want to scale each of the objects independently at whatever percentage results in Object A measuring 2.1875. You should be able to:

1. Select Object A. Copy its measure from the Control Panel.

2. Select all six objects.

3. Object>Transform>Transform Each. Turn on the proportional checkbox.

But wait...you can't because there is no proportional checkbox in this antequated modal dialog. So you have to...

3. Key the desired size (2.1875) into one of the two Scale fields, followed by a division mark. Paste. Key a multiplication mark followed by 100.

But wait...you can't, because Illustrator's utterly lame value fields can only handle one math symbol at a time. (You can type a whole equation into FreeHand's value fields.) So you have to...

3. Key the desired size (2.1875) into one of the two Scale fields, followed by a division mark. Paste. Click outside the field to commit it. Then key "*100" after the resulting value (or manually move the decimal two places).

4. Copy the resulting percentage and paste it into the other field (sigh), or key it into the other field.

But wait...it does no good because the fields in this particular antequated modal dialog round to integer percentages (?!), whereas they don't in other percentage fields throughout the program. So you have to...

1. Resort to a similarly cumbersome routine, using the Scale Tool's antequated modal dialog. This particular antequated modal dialog does provide a separate "Uniform" field (totally inconsistent with the proportional link interface treatments elsewhere in the program). But you can't use Transform Again on the other objects, because each transformation will be centered about the center of the first one you scaled, and the interface provides no choice about that.

And no matter where you do it in this program, you will contend with Illustrator's ridiculous rounding errors anytime you actually use a math operator on a pre-existing value. What self-respecting graphic artist hasn't long ago memorized decimal values for common eight-inch increments? But you dare not use math operators in Illustrator fields and expect accurate three- or four-decimal values to result.

Illustrator features are half-baked (took decades before dimension fields could do simple math, and even then it was--and still is--limited to one math operator). They are inconsistently-interfaced (proportional constraints here, but not there; buttons here, separate fields there). They are scattered (all this and more should be accomplished in a proper object inspector). And they are antequated. (The program abounds with modal dialogs.)

JET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For example:

Assume you have six objects.

Or even better, assume you have 1 object as  expressly stated in the OP.

Then how bad is it to copy the original value from the Transform palette (W or H), type the desired value (which has to be typed in because it is a completely new value) only with the decimal stop two places to the right (no reason to create it in the wrong place and then move it or make a roundabout multiplication), typing a /, and paste the copied original value?

Let us say we have a W = 271.111 and want 200. Then it will be 20000/271.111 = 73.77052204, and the value shown is 73.771, quite accurate to the 3 digits and within 1 thousandth of 1% (in this case).

You can even see the actual percentage value underway by ticking Preview.

Obviously, everything done just once in the Uniform scale part. At least when you are working with a very old, or young, model there are 3 digits after the comma, just as in the Transform palette.

In the corresponding multiple objects case, you can still key in and paste in the same way, in one operation, in the first percentage box, then copy the lot and paste it into the other box, and that is it.

Obviously less convenient, but no worse than that.

But wait...it does no good because the fields in this particular antequated modal dialog round to integer percentages (?!), whereas they don't in other percentage fields throughout the program. So you have to...

Maybe with a brand new, or old, model, but with a very old, or young, model there are still 2 digits after the comma, so the reading in this case is 73.77, accurate to the 2 digits and still within 1 thousandth of 1% (in this case).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Emil you have the wrong perception of what i am doing. I can scale by percentage and if i drag my items randomly to a certain size it does tell me the percentage i am scaling that size.

The others your answers are correct if i divide the numbers and get the percentage and then select all of my items and apply that percentage to all of them it works.Capture.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, if you hate using calculators and making any calculations, you can still use what I suggested in the following way.

Select, copy, and paste in front (Ctrl+ F) the first object that you wanat to scale numerically, for example type 4.5895 in for W in the Transform panel to scale it. Then with the Smart Guides enabled, select the original object, pick the Scale tool, grab an anchor point from the original object, and drag it following the shortest distance to the corresponding anchor point of the scaled copy. This will snap the original object to the size of the scaled copy and record the scale percentage in the Scale tool dialog box. Select and delete both scaled objects and paste in front again to bring back the original object. Now select all objects and simply double click on the scale tool and press OK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2015 Aug 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Calculators? Just type the desired percentage with % into W or H on the Transform panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines