Exit

Flickering cursor and slow opening on start or creation of new document

New Here ,
Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.

I have and Adobe Illustrator 2019. Recently the following issues began:

When I attempt to start the program, it goes black screen for a very long time, and the cursor is flickering. Usually it doesn't load further, so I have to stop it from Task Manager. It doesn't happen every time, but quite often.

Second issue is that the same happens when I want to create a new file. Either I do it from Home menu, or from File-New menu, happens the same thing: black screen and flickering cursor, and I have to terminate the program.

I cleaned all possible cache and roaming folders, checked my PC for any kind of adware (some were stating that Webcom causes it, but I don't have it).

I recently updated an Nvidia driver, hoping it could solve the problem, but it didn't.

I have Windoes 8.1 with Nvidia GTX 850M.

I would be grateful for any help!

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 27, 2020 Sep 27, 2020

Hi there,

Sorry about this trouble and the delay in response. I am hopeful that the issue was fixed. If not, please try following these steps and share your observations with us:

• Rename CEP folder from C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\CEP  to CEP.old
  • If that doesn't help, rename extensions folder from C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\UXP to extensions.old

Also, I would like to inform you that Creative Cloud 2019 apps are available for Windows 7 and Windows 10 only. Please refer

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since, as you say, this problem has begun happening recently it seems possible that there is some possible corruption in the program itself which could be fixed by deleting your Illustrator preferences. That will reset the program to its defaults and then hopefully, this issue will be dealt with.

To reset preferences on a PC:

You can try the quick way of resetting on a PC which is to hold down Ctrl + Alt + Shift when launching Illustrator and respond affirmatively when asked if you want to reset. There have been some recent reports that the window asking if you want to reset is not popping up but that the prefs are being reset anyway. If this works great but if it doesn’t you may have to manually delete them.

To do so:

On Windows 7 and above the preference files are hidden. To find them go to the Control Panel and open Folder Options and then click the View tab. Then select “Show hidden files and folders” or “Show hidden files, folders or drive options” in Advanced Settings. Then delete (or rename) the folder at the end of this path: C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator [version number]\ Settings\<Language>. Make sure that Illustrator is closed when you do this. When you relaunch the program it will create new preference files and the program will be at its default settings.

The advantage of manually deleting preference files is that after you’ve reset up the program (make sure that no document window is open) to your liking, you can create copies of your personalized “mint” preference files (make sure that you quit the program before copying them—that finalizes your customization) and use them in the future to replace any corrupt versions you may need to delete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Bill,

Thank you for your kind help.

I followed your surggestions and deleted preferences manually, but unfortunately the problem is still there.

I was wondering that maybe it's related in one way or another with having new Vray renderer and GDevelop software I installed recently, although I'm not sure that correlation is straight.

Probably I will have to reinstall Illustrator at that point, unless there are some other ways to fix this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 04, 2020 Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does that other software mess with the video driver?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Monika,

Vray is a renderer for 3D software, and GDevelop is a game programing software, so I believe they load up the vieo driver quite much. But I never run them together with Illustrator to avoid overloading.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add: I tried to reinstall Illustrator, but the problem is still there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2020 Sep 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Bill,

Are there any other suggestions you may introduce?

I have reinstalled Illustrator and Photoshop, cleared cache, preferences, everything, updated my Nvidia driver, updated Windows, removed Gdevelop and some other software, but the problem stays. Also things changed:

Now with Illustrator it starts happening only when "new file" or "libraries" or "home page" are opened, while with Photoshop it happens continuously, since the program is launched.

I thought it could have been connected to Libraries of Adobe Cloud, but there is no way to disable it.

I have checked dozens of forum topics of people having same issue, but none of their suggestions helped.

And there is no way to contact Adobe developers directly, so the only way I can find help is here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Additional summary:

When I open Illustrator by opening any .ai file, it opens the file without problems. When I try to create new document or go to Home page, the problem occurs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 27, 2020 Sep 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there,

Sorry about this trouble and the delay in response. I am hopeful that the issue was fixed. If not, please try following these steps and share your observations with us:

• Rename CEP folder from C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\CEP  to CEP.old
  • If that doesn't help, rename extensions folder from C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\UXP to extensions.old

Also, I would like to inform you that Creative Cloud 2019 apps are available for Windows 7 and Windows 10 only. Please refer to this help article for more details.

Please feel free to let us know if you still need assistance. We'd be happy to help.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines