Flickering Cursor

New Here ,
Dec 03, 2014 Dec 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have looked around trying to find a solution to the problem, but nothing seems to be turning up. The problem occurs when I am moving the cursor across the artboard. It flickers from a solid black cursor to a black w/ outline cursor. The flickering also occurs when I am using a tool, or adjusting a bounding box anchor.

This issue is only with Illustrator, and the mouse works fine normally.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct Answer

New Here , May 24, 2017 May 24, 2017
I had the same problem, and I solved it successfully!Just uninstall 'Web Companion - Lavasoft'In youtube I found this: )Illustrator Problem: Flickering cursor/loading ring - YouTube "I've had this same problem with Illustrator and InDesign 2017 after an update two weeks ago. I went through the live chat support and was informed the root of the problem - the latest update installed a third-party application, 'Web Companion - Lavasoft,' and it was causing problems with my Creative Cloud apps. I si...

Translate

Translate
replies 142 Replies 142
Participant ,
Mar 19, 2015 Mar 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same problem and it is driving me crazy.  Someone please help.  When the cursor is at rest, it turns to the black arrow, when it is in movement it is the selected tool icon.  I want it to remain the appearance of the selected tool and not continuously flicker back and forth.

It all started when I upgraded to CC.  I don't have any third party plugins.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2017 Mar 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works! Thaaaaank you!!

I noticed if I have Photoshop open behind the Illustrator, the mouse (selector tool) cant track which window its on. I hid photoshop and that seems to solve the problem. Annoying but it works!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2017 Mar 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my photoshop is closed and only illustrator is open  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2021 Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this, it worked for me to minimize photoshop! 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 24, 2015 Mar 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem.

The "reduce transparency" thing that fixed the problem for Photoshop users doesn't work at all.

I've contacted support and they were completely useless. They just made me uninstall and reinstall Wacom drivers (as if I didn't think of that myself).

I also tried a complete Illustrator re-install. Nothing changed.

I am using Illustrator CC 2014 on Yosemite.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 24, 2015 Mar 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The current thing that seems to be working for me (and that may quit working) is to hide illustrator and to hide photoshop.  Then I reselect Photoshop and reselect Illustrator. This seems to reset the flickering until I click over to something like chrome or Spotify or whatever. Then I have to do the process again. Super annoying, but it was working the last day or so to do this shaman sequence. Next, I'll try threatening its motherboard.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 25, 2015 Mar 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll definitely try this and let you know!
I usually just restart the computer out of frustration when I am fed up with it, but it really disrupts my workflow!

I wonder if this is somehow related to the fact that I am using two displays (which has caused me all kinds of problems with other apps in the past).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 26, 2015 Mar 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might have found another puzzle piece.  I'm also using two monitors, one being a wacom cintiq.  If Adobe is paying attention, that might be useful.  I'll have to pay attention and see if it has to do something with selecting things on one monitor or the other.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 27, 2015 Mar 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this impression at times (and I try to select stuff back and forth to see if anything changes), but it's all too insubstantial to define a pattern.
As you do, I usually have Chrome and Spotify open (aside from Photoshop and Illustrator), but also Mail, iTunes and Slack.

I also use a Wacom tablet, but mine is a Intuos.
When did the issue start with you? I've had this since the end of October.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 27, 2015 Mar 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator started doing this for me back in December, when I upgraded to Adobe CC and OS X Yosemite. Some combination between those upgrades caused it. I've also updated Java and all the Wacom drivers. Still having the issues.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 29, 2015 Mar 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, the whole problem started after installing Yosemite for me too. (I already had the CC)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2015 Oct 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow thanks Rocky, that was super easy and seems to have done the trick! Maybe this well help in the time being till they fix the bug

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2015 Nov 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hiding and then showing both Illustrator and Photoshop worked for me. I'm using CC2015 on OSX 10.11.1 on Macbook Pro

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2020 Jul 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for us!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2017 Jan 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallelujah - Maybe not a permanent fix, but at least it's something. This has been driving me crazy in InDesign, Illustrator and Acrobat.

I'll try John of Oatfield's method later. Under deadline, and even the temp fix is a life-saver.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2015 Mar 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this issue as well. Illustrator CS6, Yosemite, 27" imac, intuos 3. It is incredibly annoying

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's hope that now that there's four of us, Adobe will help!
I found the hide-Photoshop-and-Illustrator solution by RockyDavies pretty useful, albeit temporary.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankfully, the hide-photoshop-hide-illustrator trick is still working for me too. It is incredibly annoying, but better than a never ending flickering cursor.

It is good to see more people pop up with the problem. It should bring light to it and attention from Adobe.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i've done a little more digging, and noticed this issue was happening in all programs - it was just most noticable in illustrator. yosemite - my cursor isn't changing to a pointer when hovering in Safari - Ask Different

I restarted in safe mode, and then restarted again, and so far, so good!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2015 Jul 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have this problem – I upgraded to Yosemite and the cursor is flickering so much in photoshop CS5.1 and Indesign CS5.1 I can barely use them,

not great when your a graphic designer. The cloning tool in photoshop is unusable. It wont allow me to see the crosshair…

I reduced the transparency also as suggested on other forums. It is really distressing to use as my eyes are flickering with the cursor.

Don't know what to do. I contacted Apple and they said I should contact Adobe... gutted.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 07, 2015 Jul 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, it only happens with Illustrator in my case. Photoshop is fine and other non-Adobe software is fine.
The hiding Photoshop trick doesn't work anymore after updating to CC 2015 and the problem is back with a vengeance.

Chat support has been of little use so far.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 08, 2015 Jul 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@plainsong , @antonome , @sssummers :

Have y'all tried restarting in safe mode and restarting again? Also, does the patch that was released today help with this issue? You should be able to update from the CC desktop app. I am unable to recreate it on my machine.

Edit: Referring to the 19.0.1 patch

Let me know!

^Kathleen

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have this issue and logged it on the Wacom site as well. Illustrator is very difficult to operate with this bug!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having this problem as well, but I have only just now started noticing it, after the 2015 update. It is only in illustrator but its driving me insane.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines