Highlighted

Font installed but Illustrators doesn’t recognize it

Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My font is supposedly installed but when I open illustrator it says it can't find it. I've tried deleting it out of the folder it's currently placed in & reinstalling but nothing works. I'm on a PC. 

What typeface is it? Is it just one font file or a family of multiple font files? Have you tried re-booting the computer? Was the font file installed straight into the Windows Fonts folder or through a 3rd party font manager?

I've had issues with a couple of type families in a couple different graphics applications on my desktop PC. A previous version of Illustrator wouldn't recognize all 36 weights of "Sica," a large type family from dooType, but other applications I use see all of the font files. Sica works properly with the latest version of AI. I ran into a similar problem with "Vito" a 60 font super family by Dots&Stripes Type. CorelDRAW 2020 won't see any of the 5 bold upright widths of Vito and shifts them all to Italic. But the previous versions of CorelDRAW saw all 60 weights correctly. In the case of CorelDRAW 2020 it's likely a bug in that program with how it reads font naming tables. But it's also possible Windows itself could be a source of trouble. The OS still acts as if type families only have regular, italic, bold and bold-italic weights. Apparently font developers have to deploy work-arounds to get super families to work correctly under Windows.

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Font installed but Illustrators doesn’t recognize it

Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My font is supposedly installed but when I open illustrator it says it can't find it. I've tried deleting it out of the folder it's currently placed in & reinstalling but nothing works. I'm on a PC. 

What typeface is it? Is it just one font file or a family of multiple font files? Have you tried re-booting the computer? Was the font file installed straight into the Windows Fonts folder or through a 3rd party font manager?

I've had issues with a couple of type families in a couple different graphics applications on my desktop PC. A previous version of Illustrator wouldn't recognize all 36 weights of "Sica," a large type family from dooType, but other applications I use see all of the font files. Sica works properly with the latest version of AI. I ran into a similar problem with "Vito" a 60 font super family by Dots&Stripes Type. CorelDRAW 2020 won't see any of the 5 bold upright widths of Vito and shifts them all to Italic. But the previous versions of CorelDRAW saw all 60 weights correctly. In the case of CorelDRAW 2020 it's likely a bug in that program with how it reads font naming tables. But it's also possible Windows itself could be a source of trouble. The OS still acts as if type families only have regular, italic, bold and bold-italic weights. Apparently font developers have to deploy work-arounds to get super families to work correctly under Windows.

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 16, 2020 0
Enthusiast ,
Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 16, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. In addition to good information shared above, I'd request checking out this help article as well to know more about fonts & troubleshooting.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 07, 2020 0