Highlighted

Food packaging sleeve confusion

New Here ,
Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, I was wondering if someone could help with my confusion. Maybe its from my inexperience with packaging design...

Basically I was hired to design a sleeve for a clients food tray. 

I was under the impression I would just need the dimensions for me to design a die line in illustrator? Am I wrong because the client had rough dimensions sketched out from the printer but now they are saying I should design the dimensions .I'm confused.

Any help would be appreciated because now I'm thinking am I to get the measuring tape out over there food trays and try figure it out.

Thanks

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by DilliamWowling | Adobe Community Professional

you need dimensions for the tray for which you're designing the package. then you can create a package that fits around those dimensions. 

Perhaps the confusion is that the client thinks you're asking for print dimensions when you're actually asking for the dimensions of the tray.

TOPICS
Draw and design, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Food packaging sleeve confusion

New Here ,
Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, I was wondering if someone could help with my confusion. Maybe its from my inexperience with packaging design...

Basically I was hired to design a sleeve for a clients food tray. 

I was under the impression I would just need the dimensions for me to design a die line in illustrator? Am I wrong because the client had rough dimensions sketched out from the printer but now they are saying I should design the dimensions .I'm confused.

Any help would be appreciated because now I'm thinking am I to get the measuring tape out over there food trays and try figure it out.

Thanks

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by DilliamWowling | Adobe Community Professional

you need dimensions for the tray for which you're designing the package. then you can create a package that fits around those dimensions. 

Perhaps the confusion is that the client thinks you're asking for print dimensions when you're actually asking for the dimensions of the tray.

TOPICS
Draw and design, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 12, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly it's difficult to know the answer here because we aren't privy to the communications you had with the client. I also can't be certain I know what you mean when you say you're designing a sleeve for a tray.

Can you share any more info?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 12, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi William,

Sorry I must not of explained myself properly. I mean I was under the impression I was to design the graphics that would go on to a food tray sleeve. Its a card board sleeve that goes on top of the food package. I would create the visual graphics in illustrator.

They asked me what would I need for me to do this and I said I would need the sizes so I could input them into illustrator to create and layout the graphics and then I would send them an EPs for the printer to print the packaging sleeve.

They came back and said the printer said that I should be the one doing the dimensions.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 12, 2020 0
Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I understand the problem you're having. I'm saying that I cannot provide any answers because I don't know what communications you had with the client. It sounds as though the client was under the impression you were going to design the entire package for them (which includes doing the math to create a die line that will produce a package that can be folded, notched/tabbed, glued, etc to create the final produced package.

It's likely the person you talked to didn't fully understand the project either.. Sometimes someone will write up a brief but they don't have time to track down a designer themselves, so they'll hand the brief off to HR to do the hiring of the designer.. In that case, the person in communication may not know how extensive the project was supposed to be.

Ultimately you'll have to decide with the client what the answer is. If they need you to create the die line, you could come back here and we may be able to help with that part. Or, if you aren't up to creating the die, maybe you could find someone around here to partner up with. 😉

Good luck.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 12, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. Appreciate. I do think I could create the die line was just would I not need dimensions to then create the die line? That's what I thought I would of been doing or am I not understanding the die line process properly haha?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 12, 2020 0
Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 12, 2020 1