• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Free transform widget missing in Illustrator on macOS

Explorer ,
Aug 06, 2019 Aug 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator 2018 and 19 missing free transform widget. Can access Free transform tool but cannot free transform/distort with no pop out widget.

help please

carl Rainer

Current adobe cloud mac version

{Renamed by MOD}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Aug 07, 2019 Aug 07, 2019

I suppose that by "transform widget" you actually mean the palette (including four transform options) that usually appears when the Free Transform tool is active.

This palette sometimes is a little rascal that hides behind other palettes.

With the Free Transform tool active and at least one object selected, you can uncover it by pressing the F key two times and then drag it to a position where it is not covered by other palettes.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Aug 11, 2019 Aug 11, 2019

Hello all i have got it now. Thanks Bill, the full widget options are only available when i select the object. However i did have to double click F first time. I think 2016-17 versions you got the entire widget when you right clicked the transform tool in the tools panel.

Regards to all. I will mark this conversation as answered

Carl Rainer

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Aug 06, 2019 Aug 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you first selected a path?

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 07, 2019 Aug 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say "free transform widget" do you mean the little icon that appears when you have the Free Transform Tool chosen and you hover near a selected object? That is what you should expect and what I just tested and saw with CC 2019. (As of CC 2018 the tool itself is bundled with the Puppet Warp Tool).  If you are not getting the icon I mentioned then you may have to reset your Illustrator preferences. Hopefully, when you have reset the program to its defaults the full function of the Free Transform tool will return.

To reset Illustrator preferences on a Mac:

The User Library folder in which Illustrator’s preferences are stored is hidden by default on most Macintoshes. To access it make sure that Illustrator is closed and click on the desktop to launch a Finder Window (Command-N).With this window in column view follow the path User>Home folder (it’s the folder with an icon that looks like a house—it may have the user’s name rather than “Home”) and click on the Home folder. With the Option Key pressed choose Library from the Finder Go Menu. “Library” will now appear within the Home folder. Within the Library folder find the folder called Preferences and within it find the folder called “Adobe Illustrator <Version #> Settings” (earlier versions of Illustrator might just say “Adobe Illustrator”) and the file called “com.adobe.Illustrator.plist” and delete both that folder and that file. When Illustrator is next launched it will create new preference files and the program will be restored to its defaults.

The advantage of manually deleting preference files in this manner is that after you’ve reset up the program (make sure that no document window is open) to your liking, you can create copies of your personalized “mint” preference files (make sure that you quit the program before copying them—that finalizes your customization) and use them in the future to replace any corrupt versions you may need to delete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you select the path with your direct select tool?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suppose that by "transform widget" you actually mean the palette (including four transform options) that usually appears when the Free Transform tool is active.

With the Free Transform tool active and at least one object selected, you can uncover it by pressing the F key two times and then drag it to a position where it is not covered by other palettes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This literally saved me from resetting everything. Thanks Kurt!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2023 Nov 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Brilliant. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To Kurt Gold!! A simple and correct answer. Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2023 Jan 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks A Lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2023 Apr 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank YOU. Fours hours later, I came across your post. The F key twice??? How did you discover that? Saved me from continuing to search and resetting everything. Clearly this has been an issue for users for years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 08, 2019 Aug 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Carl,

Thanks for reaching out. As per your query, when you click on Free Transform Tool, the widget (highlighted in Red) is not visible.

I would like to know if the suggestions shared above worked for you? If not, please share the following details:

• Exact version of macOS and Illustrator
  • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, could you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us? You can upload it to the creative cloud and share the download link.
  • When did this start happening? Are there any recent changes made to your system? For example, any antivirus, system updates or web extensions installed recently.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 11, 2019 Aug 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes to Srishti

The widget in red is the one. It just isn't there and never has been. I am using both 2018 and 2019 versions of Illustrator and they have never been there. The problem does not relate to any specific document, they just don't exist. Even after resetting and editing the tool bar they are not even available as an option.

Are you able to provide a simple fix as i just cannot do my work .

Regards

Carl Rainer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Srishti

I've just checked with the other designer here and she has the same problem. I'm using a MacBook Pro running High Sierra 10.13.6 and using latest cloud version. But as i said I'm also using Illustrator 2018 as there are bugs in 2019.

Regards

Carl Rainer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please see Kurt Gold's answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very Interesting

I can get through to adobe within 1 minute if i want to talk sales but i cannot get in touch for assistance via phone. Also tried to do a live chat for help and so far the only correspondence has been hello how can i help you, it's been 15 minutes since i replied.

Not really a very good experience

Carl Rainer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 13, 2019 Aug 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am really sorry about this bad experience and will definitely share the feedback with the team. Do let us know if you have any further query, we would be happy to help.

Regards!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all i have got it now. Thanks Bill, the full widget options are only available when i select the object. However i did have to double click F first time. I think 2016-17 versions you got the entire widget when you right clicked the transform tool in the tools panel.

Regards to all. I will mark this conversation as answered

Carl Rainer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2020 Oct 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I know this problem had been solved. But I just wanna add an alternative solution for those who are having this issue. 

In windows CC, there's an option to choose to make your toolbar display more advanced features. To do it, just go to the tab Window > Toolbars > Advanced.

Screenshot 2020-10-05 024843.png

Hope it helps,

Flitz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 04, 2020 Oct 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This question is not about the toolbar. It's about the widget that belongs to the free transform tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2021 Mar 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's work. Thanks bro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines