Freeform Gradient creates shades darker than any colours used to generate the gradient!

New Here ,
Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I am using shapes and gradients to create a design. I have noticed that when using the Freeform Gradient tool it creates areas close to the edge of the shape darker than any swatch/colour used to generate the gradient. This makes it very difficult to match colours of two separate objects. The below image illustrates the issue I am experiencing. The top middle box is a linear gradient (dark blue and white) and the edge colours match the corresponding swatches of the vertical boxes underneath. The same can be said for the radial gradient in the center. However, when a freeform gradient is used, the left edge beyond the blue coloured points (which are the same blue as the vertical rectangle) is darker. Why does illustrator ignore the colour range I have given it when using the freeform gradient tool? Interestingly, I am unable to generate the same phenomena regarding areas becoming lighter! Basically, I need to control the range of colour/shade so that I can match edges. The only 'work around' I have come up with is to litter the shape edges with gradient points with the colour I require, but this is tedious and makes any colour changes very time consuming. Any assistance/ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers

Freeform Gradient Issue.jpg

TOPICS
Draw and design, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 10, 2021 Apr 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You could try and turn off the content aware features in Preferences > General and see it gets better then.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines