• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Gaussian Blur when Exporting

Participant ,
Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Thanks in advance for any tips. Does anyone here have professional experience using the guassian blur effect on their artwork and exporting the final artwork as vector, SVG, EPS for print and web. 

What I'm getting at here, is that Illustrator is essentially a vector program and I am weary of using guassian blur which strikes me as a pixel based effect. I'm not sure how exported, professional artwork is received by clients and integrated when the artwork has a guassian blur in it. My guess is that the blur would be fine in cases where the final flat flile is exported as a JPG or PNG. I'm guessing blur is not recommended for situations where the file will remain as pure vector for its life. 

Does anyone have expert, pro advise on guassian blur in the real world? Thanks. 

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Feb 05, 2021 Feb 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do what you do and as long as the file remains a native AI file, there's always a way to go back and crank out different versions without the GB if needed. I'm not clear how this should influence anyone's design decisions beyond a) understanding the target medium and b) the client's requirments in the first place. That's all that matters. Why should anyone care beyond that? Everything else is an academic, but ultimately pointless exercise. There is no such thing as a "clean vector" solution to so many things that if anyone actually paid attention to it, we'd still only produce 1990s clipart with basic strokes and fills. So many things will ultimately produce raster data (blends, gradient meshes, gradients, custom brushes etc.), not just a GB, with the only difference really being if the result is baked into the file or the render client (AI, a PostScript interporeter, a PDF viewer, a print driver, a web browser etc.) does it dynamically.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 05, 2021 Feb 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It all depends on what youwant to use the file for. Anything that needs to be cut or plotted or similar can't have raster based effects (but also it can't have a blend although that would be pure vector).

In an SVG raster based effects are also pointless. SVG effects exist for a reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines